1980 16' Sea Nymph Traveler-Rebirth of Tin 2

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
danmyersmn said:
what did you decide to paint the rest of the boat with?

Following you lead buddy. Hunter green Rustoleum(because the new seats that came with the boat are green). I plan to try rolling it on this time with a foam roller. If I remember correctly that's what you did...right? Do you think the thinning was necessary?

Also did you put it right over the Etching Primer? I thought about putting the Rustoleum Clean Metal Primer over the etching primer, but it went on my trailer horribly. Now since the etching primer is green I'm thinking the smart thing to do is put the pain right over the etching primer so if it scratches it will be green underneath instead of gray. The other thought is to go with their regular primer instead of the clean metal stuff.

The other thing I'm questioning in my mind is what to paint on the inside. The interior has all been sanded clean, but not all the aluminum compartments, that I've pulled out.

Do I:

1. Leave the inside of the compartments alone with the brushed aluminum look from sanding? This might be brighter in the closed compartments.
2. Paint everthing hunter green?
3. Paint everthing gray? This might now show the scratches as bad as the green.

Any thoughts?

I rolled mine on with the foam rollers. I would use the same technique again too. I also did thin mine 10%. I don't know that it is needed. The one compartment that I painted gray I didn't thin and it worked out fine. I think you will be fine either way.

I went right over the primer. The primer bites into the metal and the paint bites into the primer. No build up is needed. If you scratch it then your going straight through to the aluminum anyway so skip the extra step.

If you use the Rustoleum Pro. spray bomb to paint inside the compartments it will be easy enough to touch up if you ever want too. With my build I used the spray bomb for the floor and all the areas inside the hatches that you could see but would not have much abuse. I didn't take mine down to bear metal inside the areas either, I gave it a good cleaning and a light scuff and called it good enough.

I made a HUGE mistake though!! While I have been packing for my move I threw away all 3 cans of paint. I had more then 1/2 gallon of the Tan and Green and white from the trailer and 3/4 gallon of brush on primer . OOOPS!! :oops: I may not of tossed it but I haven't been able to find it and my house has been torn up and down and I don't recall seeing it anywhere.

danmyersmn said:
I rolled mine on with the foam rollers. I would use the same technique again too. I also did thin mine 10%. I don't know that it is needed. The one compartment that I painted gray I didn't thin and it worked out fine. I think you will be fine either way.

I went right over the primer. The primer bites into the metal and the paint bites into the primer. No build up is needed. If you scratch it then your going straight through to the aluminum anyway so skip the extra step.

If you use the Rustoleum Pro. spray bomb to paint inside the compartments it will be easy enough to touch up if you ever want too. With my build I used the spray bomb for the floor and all the areas inside the hatches that you could see but would not have much abuse. I didn't take mine down to bear metal inside the areas either, I gave it a good cleaning and a light scuff and called it good enough.

I made a HUGE mistake though!! While I have been packing for my move I threw away all 3 cans of paint. I had more then 1/2 gallon of the Tan and Green and white from the trailer and 3/4 gallon of brush on primer . OOOPS!! :oops: I may not of tossed it but I haven't been able to find it and my house has been torn up and down and I don't recall seeing it anywhere.
Look on the bright side. At least it wasn't expensive stuff like Interlux :) .....and you're moving to a place where the new boat of yours can be used year round. :LOL2:

"Thanks Nick Jones for your posts on using multiple thin coats!!!"

no problem man! now if i could just finish mine. Bought a house during the holidays so i have had no time. the boat looks great cant wait to see it. After reading a few other post, it appears you can paint over the steelflex as well.

When I flipped to boat before painting I noticed there i was a crack in it that was covered in some kind of silicone. Looks like they ran into something. I decided to try to braze it with some Alumiweld. Seemed to work pretty well. Then made sure to put the Steelflex on Extra thick in that area.

Attachments

• Crack.JPG
    Crack.JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 1,390
Also got the trailer painted. I'll probably have give it another quote....at least in certain areas. Just used Rustoleum Enamel and a foam brush. If I had to do it again, I'd probably spray can it since there is a lot of hard to reach areas, and I think it would look a little better. As it is, it looks 100% better than the rusted green. I'll have to take the wheels off and repaint those as well.
Trailer Black.JPG
Fenders-Black.JPG

Hoping to get another coat of paint on the trailer and another coat of Steeflex on the sides of the boat. Then get it back on the trailer before the Packers beat the Cardinals on Sunday [-o<

Well I got the trailer painted and new carpeted bunks on. Put the boat back on the trailer. I decided not to paint the upper half of the boat yet since I have a lot of other work and figured I'd scratch it up so saving the outside painting for a while.
Back on Trailer.JPG
Also here's a picture of the replaced transom. That was a lot more work than expected. Still have to wire wheel a few pieces in the back to clean it up.
Transom Replaced.JPG
Then I got the floors cut out and dry fit a few pieces back in. Tried using a templated but decided to just over cut it a hair oversized and then trim where needed. That seamed to work OK. I'll probably cut the bow hatches in tomorrow.
Cut wood.JPG

danmyersmn said:
You are going to have this one done in time to start a third before spring. :lol:

Not sure about that one....don't have room in garage and can't afford a divorce lawyer :LOL2:

I'm guessing, I'm about half done. With all the aluminum compartments there's lots left to strip and paint. Can't decides what to paint and what not too. Then rewire, some floatation foam, carpet, more wood, console, livewell,and lots of odds and ends. I'm just hoping to have it done by spring walleye fishing. It would make a great river rig.

So I'm wonder what to protect the wood with. On my last build I used Thompson's water seal to seal the wood before carpeting. I have one piece in the rear of the boat that won't be carpeted and I was thinking about painting the wood or using bedliner or non-slip paint. There will be storage in part as well as gas tanks and batteries. Any suggestions?

Grinding, Grinding, Grinding. If I never see another grinder with a wire wheel........ it will be too soon. Spent 5 hours wheeling all the inside aluminum. Hopefully I'll get that finished tomorrow and with any luck start priming. Also got the the console fixed up and removed the old rotten wood. Secured the wheel right to the aluminum so there's nothing to rot anymore.

Well finally starting to make some visual progress. I finished grinding everything down. Got the drain tubes installed, thanks to a nice local boat dealer that let me borrow their tool. Boy does that make difference. It took about 20 minutes to do both of them and they look fantastic.

Also got the whole boat primed with self etching primer. Here's some pics.

Pink foam between the ribs
Pink Foam.jpg

Here's my high tech hanging system and spray booth
Etch 2.jpg

Etch close up.
Etch 1.jpg

nice work.

I'm envisioning someone accidentally opening the gargage door. [-X

Well got ther first coat of paint on it. Decided to try to roll and tip method....but as it turned out, no tipping was necessary. Just used Rustoleum Enamel and a 4" foam roller. Worked out better than expected. You would never know if was rolled vs sprayed. I'll get a second coat on tomorrow. It's not as bright of a green as this picture shows. It's actually more of a Hunter Green

Attachments

• Console 1st coat.JPG
    Console 1st coat.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 1,337

Latest posts