1980 16' Sea Nymph Traveler-Rebirth of Tin 2

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used Rustoleum Self Etching primer. You can get it at Wal-Mart in the automotive section. I needed 5-6 cans to to the whole boat

Well got a second coat of paint on. Also decided to paint the outside today instead of down the road. Here's a few pics. The console pic best represents what the color actually looks like as the flash on a few pics made things look brighter than they are. Really glad I decided to roll it on rather than spray can it.
2nd coat 1.jpg
2nd coat 2.jpg
2nd coat 3.jpg

Read your build info a few times, then today I look and see you are just up the highway from me - kind of funny. I hope to find time to do my Sea Nypmh boat this year too. Maybe not as much as you with paiting the bottom, I like the look of raw aluminum, but redoing the decking/wiring and some mods on the layout.

Good luck and I'll keep an eye on your build!

Will (from Milwaukee area)

wasilvers said:
Read your build info a few times, then today I look and see you are just up the highway from me - kind of funny. I hope to find time to do my Sea Nypmh boat this year too. Maybe not as much as you with paiting the bottom, I like the look of raw aluminum, but redoing the decking/wiring and some mods on the layout.

Good luck and I'll keep an eye on your build!

Will (from Milwaukee area)

Welcome fellow Cheesehead!(well it look like you're a transplant). You're the first other guy I've seen from WI. Kind of funny as I write this I'm actually sitting in my hotel in Dallas, TX, and one of my engineers lives in Sussex. Small world.

I'm with you on the Aluminum look but this boat is 30 years old and was showing it's age. Once I sanded it down I thought about leaving the inside raw aluminum with the brushed look but I wanted the Steelflex on the outside to make sure it was sealed up tight. Surprisingly enough the painting didn't take long at all and didn't cost but maybe $10 extra to paint everything. Can't wait to get back home and start putting everything back together.

P.S. Groundhog saw his shadow so 6 more weeks of winter. Plenty of time to get your Sea Nymph done before the spring walleye run!!!!!

Nussy said:
Plenty of time to get your Sea Nymph done before the spring walleye run!!!!!

Yeah - I know once i get started I will not stop, but it's tax season - tonight I worked till 9. Everyone at home was already asleep when I got here. :(

So to paint, you brush it with a wire brush, hit it with a rough sanding(?), rustoleum etching primer, then rustoleum enamel? That's it? Seems ok.

How did you flip your boat over? I think i could do most of the work, but painting is a bit intmidating, but I have to paint the console (mine is the same design as yours) Funny, I have no problems tearing into an engine, but don't want to paint HA!

Actually I just wire wheeled it, primed it with the etching primer(spray can) and rolled on the paint. I was really surprised how well it turned out. They call it the roll and tip method, but I didn't even have to tip it. Tipping you just use a dry brush to take out the air bubbles of rolling it on. With that paint the air bubbles just popped and it looks as good if not better than the boat I had previously sprayed.....and much less mess. For me I pulled the console but you could do it in the boat before you put the floor in or carpet. Stay tuned. I'm hoping to have the center floor in and console by the end of the weekend.

This thing is finally starting to look like a boat. This weekend I was able to get the rear floor in and all the compartments and framing for the rear deck. I ran into a little problem in that I think the original floor was less than the 3/4" wood I'm using.....so thing didn't match up quite right. I think I've solved that for now. All wood has been treated with 2 coats of water sealer.
Rear Deck Framing.JPG

I also carpeted and installed the center floor section and put the console back in.
Progress.JPG

In the front I was able to get my aluminum bracing in which will be support for my hatches. All of the framing is 2"x2"x1/8" Angle. That size is probably overkill. I think I could have gotten away with thinner stuff(but I'm not sure they make it). I went with 2" so that I have my hatches supported by at least an inch
Front Deck Framing.JPG

What I plan to so is screw from the underside to attach the deck. You'll see the holes I predrilled so that I'm able to do this.
Front Deck Framing 2.JPG

And the front deck. I thought long and hard about how to layout my hatches. In the end this is what I ended up with. I'm not too crazy about the supporting running through the center of the hatch but I wanted to avoid a situation where two hatched hit each other. I also wanted be able to stand on the floor rather than a hatch in a seated position. Last and most importantly I wanted to give as much structural support for the seat base. I'm a big guy and I like to lean on my seat rather than sit on it. I plan to put a piece of sheet aluminum under the deck to screw the base through as well. There will be another small section to fill in the front V. I had to build it seperately because the bottom of the boat comes up past the deck so it will have a slight tilt. It will be enclosed for storage anyway.
Front Deck 1.JPG

Man that's starting to look good! That green paint has some POP to it!

270Handiman said:
Man that's starting to look good! That green paint has some POP to it!

Yeah, it's not as bright as some of the pictures make it look. I'm working in my garage with a crappy camera and I've had to adjust the brightness on many of the pic so you could see them. It's actually hunter green. Once I get it finished, I'll get some outside pics in better light.

I can see light at the end of the tunnel.....I was able to get a bit more done this weekend. Yesterday I put some foam in the front under the deck(forgot pictures). Ended up using great stuff for big gaps. 4 cans and ran out. I'll have to get 8-10 more cans for floatation in the rear. It seamed to work OK. I thought it would expand more than it did...but my garage was only at 50 degrees which may have something to do with it.

I installed the side compartments in the bow area mounted the seat base, and screwed down the floor. I also carpeted the front hatches. I made the mistake of not carpeting them in the same direction/grain as I did the bow so one hatch look ligher than the rest of the bow area. I have a feeling that if I have carpet remaining I'll be redoing that hatch. I also installed the live well pump and ran the hose to the livewell and installed the fish finder.

Today I was able to get the motor back on, install the throttle control, steering wheel, and the rear sheet metal. I decided to reroute the battery cable for the motor so that I could better weight distribute my batteries on each side of the boat. I will not have one in each rear side compartment. It will also allow me to keep my batteries away from the gas tanks.

I'm a little concerned with the throttle cable. It is way too long. I looped it around like it was orginally but I really don't like the way it response when you put it in forward and reverse. Unfortuanately, I don't remember how it worked before I removed it.

Heres some pics.
Front Deck 2.JPG
Front Deck 3.JPG
Front Deck 4.JPG

Items remaining:
Wiring
Trolling Motor
Switch Panel
Lights
Rear Deck
Bow Side Compartments
Seats
Finish Livewell
Trailer Wiring
Trailer bearings
Wheels painted
Some sheet metal work to close in the reach storage area and between the seats....OK maybe there isn't light at the end of the tunnel :)

I've been following your threads and you have done some very nice work.
So now the hard part, have you decided which rig you're gonna sell yet?
You appear to have a large garage so maybe you can keep them both?

Can you post some pics to give me a general idea of the size area the foam filled? I ended up buying some of the big gap stuff, and I'm going to put it in my flotation boxes near the transom.

dyeguy1212 said:
Can you post some pics to give me a general idea of the size area the foam filled? I ended up buying some of the big gap stuff, and I'm going to put it in my flotation boxes near the transom.

The foam is under the bow deck so I can't get at it. I used 4 cans and I would say it was probably 3 cubic feet. I'm guessing it didn't expand as much because my garage and the foam was pretty cold. It's about 20 degrees here in WI(granted my garage was probably 40-50degrees) and I didn't really let things warm up before spraying the foam. For the rear I"m going to keep the foam inside and get my garage warmer before spraying it in.

jasper60103 said:
I've been following your threads and you have done some very nice work.
So now the hard part, have you decided which rig you're gonna sell yet?
You appear to have a large garage so maybe you can keep them both?

Thanks Jasper!
While I have a pretty large garage, I have 3 boats and the wife isn't going to stand for keeping them all. The pontoon is a given to stay. I live on a small electric only lake so the the red Mirro is probably a better bet for now since I can remove the tiller motor pretty easily and it's smaller and lighter than the Sea Nymph. The only problem is it wouldn't be as good for bigger water like Lake Michigan which is only 1/2 mile away. I can borrow my dad's Tracker Tundra for big water so I think this build is going to be the one that goes.

Latest posts