1981 Alumacraft F-14 Rebuild

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On a quick side note, this side is BADAZZ for putting your livewell together. Use the interactive tool. Fugetaboutit. I saw it posted somewhere here, but thought I would put it up again. I had NO idea what I needed, and between reading posts here and this website, I am now a livewell expert =P~

https://www.flow-rite.com/

BEFORE YOU PAINT ANY ALUMINUM YOU NEED TO "ETCH" IT THEN NEUTRALIZE IT AND DO NOT TOUCH IT WITH YOUR HANDS AFTER THAT BEFORE PAINTING IT. aluminum has oil in it and it needs to be removed correctly when I was younger i rebuilt a PETERBILT semi truck cab, I was so proud of it . it shinned like a new penny with the imron paint then 1 day i went thru a big rain storm and when it sub sided the on comming semi's got on the CB radio and said look at the zebra striped truck so I pulled over and half of my paint was gone. this is how I learnned about how to prep alumnum for painting. dupont make real good etcher chemicals, cant remember the numbers,comes in quarts and dont get it on your hands/eyes etc.
bob

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=318999#p318999 said:
BCOWANWHEELS » Yesterday, 18:39[/url]"]BEFORE YOU PAINT ANY ALUMINUM YOU NEED TO "ETCH" IT THEN NEUTRALIZE IT AND DO NOT TOUCH IT WITH YOUR HANDS AFTER THAT BEFORE PAINTING IT. aluminum has oil in it and it needs to be removed correctly when I was younger i rebuilt a PETERBILT semi truck cab, I was so proud of it . it shinned like a new penny with the imron paint then 1 day i went thru a big rain storm and when it sub sided the on comming semi's got on the CB radio and said look at the zebra striped truck so I pulled over and half of my paint was gone. this is how I learnned about how to prep alumnum for painting. dupont make real good etcher chemicals, cant remember the numbers,comes in quarts and dont get it on your hands/eyes etc.
bob

Thanks for the advice. Whatever it was, its painted and looks good now. I was more careful with EVERYTHING the second time around. Lesson learned!!!

Got some work done over the weekend. I got most all of the trailer parts painted, but ran out of one color and couldn't find anymore in town. :evil: But I got the trailer put back together about 90%, got the tail lights and blinkers wired, and finished the paint coats on the bottom of the boat. Just need to build new bunks for the trailer and its time to flip her over and start on the inside!!!!

I didn't have a wire fish to pull my trailer wiring through the tongue, so my wife suggested twine and a shop-vac. Worked like a charm. I knew I kept her around for a reason!!!! :lol:

Got my motor, too. Man, I'm raring to go now!!!

Attachments

• Boat34.JPG
    Boat34.JPG
    504.4 KB · Views: 1,305
  • Boat35.JPG
    Boat35.JPG
    319.9 KB · Views: 1,305
  • Boat37.JPG
    Boat37.JPG
    401 KB · Views: 1,305
  • Boat38.JPG
    Boat38.JPG
    249.3 KB · Views: 1,305
  • Boat40.JPG
    Boat40.JPG
    392.1 KB · Views: 1,305
  • Boat41.JPG
    Boat41.JPG
    336.4 KB · Views: 1,305
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=319152#p319152 said:
BCOWANWHEELS » 17 Jun 2013, 15:39[/url]"]Boy that boats gonna really scoot with 40 hp... is it rated for that much ?

No, the jet drops it to 28, and its rated for 25. What concerns me is weight. I think its going to be too heavy. I have my eyes on a 16' boat with 2 motors for 1k. I can sell those motors (have an offer for $500 for one already) and have a free boat. I will redo it this winter. Another Tin project!!!!! It will all work out!!!

Hey,

I noticed you we asking about where to get seat hardware for reasonable. Try Springfield scratch and dent. Google it. You won't be sorry.

Chris

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=320063#p320063 said:
riverduck » 24 Jun 2013, 18:35[/url]"]Hey,

I noticed you we asking about where to get seat hardware for reasonable. Try Springfield scratch and dent. Google it. You won't be sorry.

Chris

Thanks Chris!!!!

I have been waiting for $5 worth of pins for my rollers, they didn't tell me they were on back order until AFTER I ORDERED THEM!!!! They arrived today. So, now it is time to roll her back over and slap her back on the trailer and get to work on the innerds!!!! Slow and steady, I guess.

Great looking build......I just hope I have the patience when I start on mine. I can't wait to see the finished product.

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31590

Looking for help in the electrical department. Please look and see if you can help. Been busy trying to find out how to make my new motor go.

So things have been slow lately. Work, preparing for a 9 day pack in bow hunt, and bought a 79 elky for a project. I was having a tough time deciding what to do with the COPIOUS amount of holes in the transom from various screws, bolts, mounted crap that is no longer there, etc. Rivets would get in the way of the transom wood, and screws just seemed like a patch job. So, me and a buddy welded them up last night. Problem solved. I will post pics soon, cause I need to get rolling. Fall river 'eyes are just around the corner!!!!!

Quick question, even though I'll embarrass myself. I bought a tube of 3M 5200, pic below. Obvioiusly the top is easy to deal with, but how in the world do I get my caulking gun to push it out? The bottom seems to be metal and lipped over the tube? I really dont want to render it useless by doing something stupid, so I thought I would ask here first. Does that bottom metal cap come off? Or do I just put it in the caulking gun and horse it home?

Attachments

• 6500ADH_D.jpg
    6500ADH_D.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 924
Got my transom started, and got everything cleaned out good. All the trim parts are done. Gluvit down, and drying!! Back on track!!! How long should I wait before priming over the gluvit?

Also, Any trouble running my fuel lines from the front of the boat? I want all the weight I can get up there, so I am putting my battery, live well, and would like to put my fuel up there as well. I would think the fuel line would need to be 12' or so, at least.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375675454.207583.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1375675466.919519.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1375675484.286017.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1375675494.486090.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1375675505.069471.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1375675517.235745.jpg

Interior primer coat 1. Start/Tilt/Trim cables on the way, tiller handle on the way, bought a battery, ordered battery cables. Should finish up the paint & transom this week!!!!

I'm the goofy looking bald dude, in case your wondering!!!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375805336.109050.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1375805345.303862.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1375805354.454011.jpg

Ok. Tuff Coat #1 laid down. I need some help tho, please. I have never wired a battery to a boat, so I need to know, is there a designated ground point on these motors? I have a 1990 Johnson 40hp. I know the positive goes to the starter solenoid, I can find that lug. I'm not sure about the ground. My wiring harness will be here today, and I REALLY want to run this bad boy, so any help is appreciated. Thanks!!!!ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375971434.778692.jpg

Another question. Any idea why my motor would be turning over so slow?

https://youtu.be/jRqlUwSUoE4

It fired up right before this and I shut it off, because it was shooting water all over my garage. That's why I'm laughing in the video. PLEASE PLEASE!! Ideas are needed. The motor is a reman, so I have never had it running.

riverrat174 said:
Another question. Any idea why my motor would be turning over so slow?

It fired up right before this and I shut it off, because it was shooting water all over my garage. That's why I'm laughing in the video. PLEASE PLEASE!! Ideas are needed. The motor is a reman, so I have never had it running.
Hey RiverRat put this question on the motors forum and some one will get back to you pretty quick. I wish I could help.

Thanks Panfried. Fix was quite easy, thankfully. Talked to some buddies, threw some money and time at it, and viola.

https://youtu.be/u8dtiZXp8oo

Battery cables were limiting current draw, plugs were bad. Some things ya just can't half ***.

My beautiful assistant is ready to fish it!!!

Some other updates. Spent ALL day yesterday on it, had a blast. Got the wife and daughter involved. Got the floor urethaned, got the boat bottom tuff coated, and putting the transom on her back together today. Fabbed up one of my float pods with cardboard. Building them is going to be tricky with the radius of the corners of the transom, but it's doable. Hope to be ready for a water test soon. My handle is being mailed tomorrow. I'll fab up more transom support today, get the floor done and temporarily in, gunwhale supports done, battery mounted, some more odds and ends. I'll put pics up later.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376227084.489119.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376227113.472716.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376226700.905896.jpg

Got some odds and ends done, floor Tuff-Coated, , some transom supports built, etc. struggled with transom mock up. I put it together a couple times, and was reminded of some things I forgot here and there, so apart it comes again. I need to get it right, cause once the 5200 is on there, there is NO going back. I have it done, should be able to get it buttoned back up tonight. I'll put the floor back in, and then start on the front storage, gunwale supports, and other crap. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376323759.571210.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1376323769.854636.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1376323780.154430.jpg

Latest posts