1981 Alumacraft F-14 Rebuild

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any ideas on how to form a radius on sheet aluminium for my float pods? I have some ideas, but this certainly isn't my forte, so suggestions are much appreciated. Here is the radius I have to form.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376332674.118371.jpg

Got her put back together. Used 3/4" conduit for the transom supports, stole that from someone on here!!! I'll do the aluminium gunwales supports tomorrow. Starting on the bow storage, livewell, and side storage after that. Gotta figure out these float pods out too!!!!! Working on getting an AutoCAD license at work, so I can draw them up & get my material.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376360693.283499.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1376360705.916679.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1376360719.900444.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1376360732.219594.jpg

Bit by bit.

First float pod layout. WRONG!! Measure twice, cut once!!! Thanks for that tidbit, boys!!!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376452116.667737.jpg

Second float pod layout, BINGO!!!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376452229.712405.jpg

Correct float pod mock up.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376452329.213031.jpg

Just have to cut out bottoms, and form my radius. I'll post pics of that process.

On a side note, I used some $10 coupons I've earned at Ace Hardware since I started this project. Got a $43.90 dead blow hammer for $3.90!!!!

Pieces left to cut. Used a pneumatic body saw to cut my pieces up. Very small kerf, so good cuts. LONG PROCESS. My forearms are sore!!!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376452598.413226.jpg

Great project, great progress, and ...****, man...when you say "rebuild," you mean it! :)

It already looks great, and with the additonal projects you have in mind, it ought to be AWESOME.

Be safe, have fun.

=D> =D> =D>

Thanks fellas. This OCD sure does come in handy!!! I am learning so much from this, couldn't do it without the advice/tips/builds on here. Thanks to all!!

Got all metal cut for my pods. I am banging away, bending my radius on the right side pod. Not fun. Should have got thinner sheet.

This is the front view. The over hang is what I left on for the bend.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376667393.744411.jpg

Top view. It's not lined up real well, because tape doesn't hold sheet very tightly. Really, it came out pretty good. I had to dress up my cuts with the grinder, but nothing horrifying.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376667445.895491.jpg

Side view.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376667555.445610.jpg

I'll post more pics of the bending process. I got a blister already, cause apparently, weight training does not a working mans hands make. Being an office jocky has its bennies, but downfalls as well.

This is just for fun. The car belongs to my sons 16yr old buddy. He came out of the late movie last night to find this sad sack passed out on his car hood. Drive the car right out from underneath him, cause he couldn't wake him. I wish he would have taken video of this chap torpedoing into the asphalt!!!!!
Ahhhh, the oil boom.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376667671.411196.jpg

Dooood -- this is a great looking boat so far, I can't wait to see it move a long!

Cheers
Herc

Thank you, sir. I do appreciate the kind words. I am caught up in trail cams, hanging stands, getting ready for the Friday bow season opener, and wrestling open gym with my athletes 2 days a week. With the heat and humidity, I don't like working in my garage!!!! 90-95 degrees and 60-80% humidity is more than this Norvegian can handle!!! :LOL2: So I haven't done much lately. I posted a link to my first trail cam pics in the Hunting section. Check them out.

As far as the boat goes, I have everything I need to finish it and get it on the water, I am stuck on the float pods (that aluminum is a bear to bend). Only thing I haven't bought is the tubing and fittings for my live well. I plan on getting to the aluminum and front deck this week, and hope to have the pods welded up by next weekend. I WILL be on the water for October walleyes, because I start coaching high school wrestling 7 days a week in November, and will have ZERO time for it after that until spring fishing. Slow and steady wins the race!!!!!

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=31957

Latest posts