1981 PolarKraft Remodel Start to Finish

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Long time lurker, finally joined. Here are some pics of what Dad and I started with. This boat was bought brand new by Dad in early 1982. We are the only owners, and he has since given me the boat. It originally had a '81 Mariner 30 HP short shaft, and I replaced it this past Jan with a '96 Mercury 40HP. Hated to see the 30 go, but I needed a little more umph to push the boat blind and all the junk in it!

P1300038.jpg

P1300035.jpg

Rear seat and inside skin of transom are gone. 1 1/4 inch plywood removed, and will be replaced with aluminum bracing. Transom height will also be raised to accomodate the new motor.
P2130107.jpg

Transom work is finally done! Boat was gone for almost a month. While I had the transom rebuilt, I also had him remove the back seat, and replace it with these two "pods". This will allow for storage of my gas can on one side, and batteries on the other. Both pods will be covered with 3/4 inch plywood, a hinged door with locks and handles, and then carpeted.
DSCN1430.jpg

Dad and I decided to remove the top of the front seat, remove the foam, and put a plywood floor in the bottom of the seat so that we can use it for storage of guns and gear during duck season, and housing the trolling motor battery during fishing season. We also put a plywood floor in the space between the front seat and bow for more storage of life jackets and seat cushinons.
DSCN1432.jpg

The next three pics show the transistion from the open bow to a platform. The brace is made form 2" angle, that was welded together and is held in place with 8 bolts on the front seat and bow. Openings for the doors were made into the brace, and then cut out of the plywood. The wood that came out of the holes was used for the doors. Once the plywood is bolted to the frame and front seat, it will get covered with marine backed outdoor carpet from Lowe's ($2.98 linear/ft)
DSCN1438.jpg

DSCN1435.jpg

DSCN1440.jpg

Next, I measured the drop from the edge of the boat to the middle on each rib, then cut a piece of wood to fit on top of the ribs making the floor level, and still having the natural drainage built into the floor of the boat. Each piece was screwed into the rib, which will allow my duck hunting floor to be level also. Also note the electrical plug on the back of the front seat. This was Dad's idea, and is wired into the battery, allowing us to plug a battery charger in and charge the trolling motor battery in place.
RearBareFloor.jpg

Here is the front deck completed. The three seat brackets allow for Dad and I to sit together up front when we are trolling, or I can sit in the middle by myself.
FrontDeckII.jpg

Here is the finished product. The main floor was made in two pieces that are removable. Each was made with 1/2" plywood, and then carpeted.
FinishedBoatFront.jpg

Here's the new "muscle" of the operation.
MotorI.jpg

Awesome work man! You are definitely going to enjoy that boat.

What is the size of the boat? basically length and floor width

Looks good! I have a 17; polarkraft that i am slowly working on while i am using it. Mine is actually going into the shop tonight for a new transome, something about these polarkrafts and the transoms :?

Thanks guys! Boat is a 16 foot with beam of 72 inches, floor of 52 inches wide and 94 inches long. As far as the transom goes, I only had to rebuild it because of the new motor having a longer shaft. This boat has been lightly used for a boat that is almost 30 years old. Too many good memories in this boat to get rid of it, and I didn't want to try and hold an 18 footer still in the wind anyway! I plan on painting the boat this summer. I know, I should have done that before all of this work, but I was getting pressed for time and didn't have a warm garage to paint it in. Headed to MS next weekend for a week of Crappie slaying

Thanks Mojo....I keep telling my wife that I am the smartest man alive, and for some reason she just looks at me and rolls her eyes. I don't know, maybe she's jealous! :LOL22:

Latest posts