1982 Johnson 35 hp with electric start wiring info....

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rawdawg

Reaction score
Hi guys, I got a 82 Johnson 35hp electric start motor on my 20' Ouachita project.
Problem for now is that I got it as is and as is, the 8 foot long big black power cable that comes out of it has 7 insulated wires and a bare ground inside it and was hacked off. I didnt get the keyswitch part for it, so I dont know how to wire it to start it.
The wire colors are :
heavy red w purple stripe (I figure its to battery 12+)
Black w yellow stripe (I figure its to battery 12-)
bare ground (I figure chassis ground)
Yellow w red stripe ?
purple w red stripe ?
purple ?
grey ?
pink ?
Need to smoke test, so could use some guidance, brothers... :?

Hope you have not given up on a reply.

Here is what my book shows.

First off it shows 6 terminals on the switch.
Down the left side C,S, M.
Down the right side A,M, B

Black.......ground to coil......Hooks to M on switch (Middle Right)
Black/Yellow....Traces to the power pack...Hooks to M (Bottom R)
Purple/White...Traces to Choke...Hooks to C on switch (top left)
Yellow/Red...Neutral Start and starter solenoid...Hooks to S on switch (middle left)
Red/Purple...Fused, hooks to starter solenoid....Hooks to B (bottom left)
Book does not show what wire is hooked to A on switch.

Switch positions
M to M is the off position.
B to S and B to A is the start position.
B to A is the on position.
B to C is the choke on position....you push the switch and then have to turn the switch to the start position for the choke to work.

Hope this helps....you might try the library for a book if it does not.

Good Luck.

If this does not help let me know and I can pull my switch and see if it has some of the colors that do not match yours. I have a 81 35 hp....books shows 78-85 year and 20 to 40 hp to be the same wiring.

Thanks, I just found a generic color coded chart last night, got it fired up this morning, sounds real good,. :lol:
No forward, so I (without a manual)...(uh oh..) #-o tried to take off bottom prop gear housing, :roll: and I think Im screwed. :oops: I need to separate it and got it to drop about 5 inches, but now it wont slide down any further. AND of course it wont slide all the way back together. #-o ..so I be fetchin a manual and will have to git intimate with it. I thought the shift rod may have been bent, but who knows... CSI has to start now...oh well. Now I get forced experience. Hey I aint got a dime invested in it, nothing but time, and I got plenty. so... sigh...

Good luck, I put a water pump in mine a few weeks ago and it was tougher than the old 60's models I have been used to working on. The shift rod disconnect was located behind the water inlet screen. Then it was a nut with a split ferrel (almost like a supply line on a sink) that held the 2 shift rods together much different than what I was used to on the old motors. Caution do not take out the phillips head screw in side of the lower unit close to the flat screw where you drain the oil, this holds part of the shifter and if you take it out you have to tear the foot all apart and reassemble from what the books says. Good luck keep us posted.

Latest posts