1985 tournament TX......yep another one.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bowlershop

Reaction score
Well, I found another bass tracker... I didn't need a 3rd one but the price was right so I couldn't say no. I totally rebuilt my others but this one I think I want to just clean up and keep it original looking. I have a question though that maybe someone can help me with. When the motor is trimmed all the way up it creeps back down in about 15minutes... what would be causing that?

Attachments

• IMG_0321.JPG
    IMG_0321.JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 1,681
  • IMG_0318.JPG
    IMG_0318.JPG
    123.4 KB · Views: 1,681
There is a place they sell after market ones cheap I think he sell on eBay as well I got on a few years back for my old boat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Got the boat on the water for a test run. Everything worked great except the trolling motor. This will be a fun build when I get to it!

Attachments

• IMG_0411.JPG
    IMG_0411.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 1,427
The tilt/trim problem is the cylinders that actually move the motor. They are simply hydraulic cylinders just like on a tractor or excavator, just different size and shape. I have been working at a hydraulic repair shop for 24 years now and we have repaired a number of Mercury tilt and trim cylinders. I have even gone through a few of the power units. Anyway, just take those cylinders off the boat and over to your local hydraulic shop. They will fix them without any problems. No need to buy new ones, the old ones are completely repairable.

Also, I wanted to ask you a question if you don't mind. I am rebuilding an '81 Bass Tracker II and am interested in painting it similar to the newer boats. I see that you did that with your other 2 builds. In the pictures of one of them, after you redid the transom, I noticed it looked as though the interior area under the transom had been shot with primer maybe? Did you paint the entire inside of your boats or just a few spots? Or was that galvanize spray maybe?

And the wiring. Did you run wires under the floor or along the side of the boat. It's been a long time since I ripped the wiring out of mine and am not sure where it was originally run. Yes my boat has been sitting in a pasture for nearly two decades. :| About time I finally got back to redoing it. I will get a thread going here as I have some pics of the work so far. New transom is in and getting the back end aluminum reattached/welded. Also trailer paint in the next week or so.

I think you did an incredible job on your rebuilds and they have certainly inspired me to get mine done.

Have a good one.

Larry

ColoradoBassTracker said:
The tilt/trim problem is the cylinders that actually move the motor. They are simply hydraulic cylinders just like on a tractor or excavator, just different size and shape. I have been working at a hydraulic repair shop for 24 years now and we have repaired a number of Mercury tilt and trim cylinders. I have even gone through a few of the power units. Anyway, just take those cylinders off the boat and over to your local hydraulic shop. They will fix them without any problems. No need to buy new ones, the old ones are completely repairable.

Also, I wanted to ask you a question if you don't mind. I am rebuilding an '81 Bass Tracker II and am interested in painting it similar to the newer boats. I see that you did that with your other 2 builds. In the pictures of one of them, after you redid the transom, I noticed it looked as though the interior area under the transom had been shot with primer maybe? Did you paint the entire inside of your boats or just a few spots? Or was that galvanize spray maybe?

And the wiring. Did you run wires under the floor or along the side of the boat. It's been a long time since I ripped the wiring out of mine and am not sure where it was originally run. Yes my boat has been sitting in a pasture for nearly two decades. :| About time I finally got back to redoing it. I will get a thread going here as I have some pics of the work so far. New transom is in and getting the back end aluminum reattached/welded. Also trailer paint in the next week or so.

I think you did an incredible job on your rebuilds and they have certainly inspired me to get mine done.

Have a good one.

Larry
thanks

I've been considering selling this one to get some more cash for my other tracker project on here. Also due to lack of starage area..........anybody out there looking for the perfect project boat?

Latest posts