1989 FLATSTRACKER 17tx to center console flats boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
we had hoped to get the floor/decks installed this weekend but we are finally ready for them. finally got all the little BS stuff done and got the boat completely cleaned, vacuumed, washed, vacuumed! we had some set back yesterday on the motor. the old steering linkage was seized inside the pass through on the motor bracket. so after a considerable amount patience and work we were succesffull in getting it removed!!! so we cleaned and polished the inside of the tube and reinstalled it. finally got the motor back on the boat all the wires, linkages, fuel line, steering cable all hooked up and ready to go. even got the battery hooked up and trimmed the motor down! will post some pictures tonight.

Nice job! Very, very nice job!

I like that small footprint center console. Hard to believe you haven't done that before. Get them welded up and you could sell them!

rivercity said:
Nice job! Very, very nice job!

I like that small footprint center console. Hard to believe you haven't done that before. Get them welded up and you could sell them!
thank you!! if we ever change it i will weld it together next time!

Benjamin Moore P22 top and bottom? Any skid additive on top? What primer did you use on the aluminum?

I just ran down to the neighborhood Benjamin Moore store, and at $51/ gallon, P22 is cheap. Claimed 400 sq feet of coverage? I'm looking at a similar paint project. Lighter color anti slip inside and neutral outside on a 20 ft alum open boat. Love your built up deck and all its features, but I run in a river where I need my feet firmly below the outside water level!

Might steal your console design and paint scheme though. I'm considering putting a gas tank in the console, either in one like yours or similar w/ bump out front where you could put a cushion on it (more room for gas).

rivercity said:
Benjamin Moore P22 top and bottom? Any skid additive on top? What primer did you use on the aluminum?

I just ran down to the neighborhood Benjamin Moore store, and at $51/ gallon, P22 is cheap. Claimed 400 sq feet of coverage? I'm looking at a similar paint project. Lighter color anti slip inside and neutral outside on a 20 ft alum open boat. Love your built up deck and all its features, but I run in a river where I need my feet firmly below the outside water level!

Might steal your console design and paint scheme though. I'm considering putting a gas tank in the console, either in one like yours or similar w/ bump out front where you could put a cushion on it (more room for gas).

yes the top and bottom are benjamin moore p22. it does cover really well and seems to go a long ways. you can see the side of the boat we used about a quarter of a gallon maybe little less and that was two good coats. we used the STIX primer on the aluminium. we have not painted the decks yet but we intend to use walnut shells as our anti skid. i will tell you the paint deff needs atleast a good week in the sun to dry before you do any thing major with it. the tech sheet for the paint says 30days to cure. we are adding a cooler to the front of our console but we actually had intentions of installing a bump out on the front of it for a seat/storage but decided a removable cooler would suit us better.

I am also working on a Bass Tracker 16, about have transom com[pleted and ready for prime and paint, what type of primer did you use and does the paint come in several colors. I am also converting to center consol but have not found a console yet, any suggestions...

skiff00 said:
I am also working on a Bass Tracker 16, about have transom com[pleted and ready for prime and paint, what type of primer did you use and does the paint come in several colors. I am also converting to center consol but have not found a console yet, any suggestions...

How about starting a project posting for your Tracker? I would like to follow your center console conversion as i intend to do the same. Taking pics now to start my own project.

skiff00 said:

we wanted to use a fiberglass console but could not really find one we liked and i came up with a hair brained idea and said ill make one out of aluminium and well we now have a small aluminium console. took me two and a half tries to get it the way we wanted. the whole boat is built around the simple concept of less is more. we are trying to keep everything very simple, streamlined, very flush, and smooth as possible. so our console is kind of just that simple. as far as the primer goes we are using stix primer on the alumium and on the wood we are using a base of spar urethane to seal it then using aqualux primer and the ben moore paint. the paint can be tinted any color in the ben moore wheel of colors.

got a lot accomplished today. we decided to use walnut shells for anti slip in the boat so we got started on that hot and heavy today. all the pieces that are getting have been coated first coat and hopefully weather permitting we will get the second coat on tomorrow. we taped off the areas we wanted to cover and applied spar and scattered the shells as even as possible. then use a sheet of alumium we have and smashed them down to bury them in the spar and even the out as much as possible then turned the pieces on there side and dumped all the extra off. once excess was cleaned up we removed tape and let them dry. the console go the steering wheel rack installed today as well as the cup holders and holes for the gauges and radio. our second mission tomorrow will be to get the shifter installed and then the switches drilled in , cut in the speakers and test fit everything then remove everything and get it in primer and paint.

well the shells are on and looks awesome!! we have made a ton of progress. we ended up taking the decks (all of them) and taping off the areas we did not want to cover with the shells. then we put a moderate coat of spar on and applied the shells. just fyi anyone else who tries this heed this bit of info. we put on just enough shells to cover the area without showing any plywood but not so much that it was really thick. there is a VERY fine line between to much and not enough!! once the shells were spread out evenly as possible i used a tide bottle i use for scooping my sand blasting sand and dropped the shells on the deck. then we took a piece of sheeting we had left and pressed the shells to get the evenly tamped down. then took the decks and stood them up vertical and knocked off all the excess. we divided all of the decks in half so we only did one half at a time. once we were done with each half we removed the tape before the spar dried to give a nice clean edge. we let the one half dry then did the other so as not to have any problems with it falling off the one side or the excess getting into the first side. was a lenghthy but well worth it. once the shells were on totally and the spar was dry we then applied a heavy top coat of spar to the whole deck and let dry. the end result we think could not have turned out better!! we got our console all assembled with all the electronics, gauges, switches, contrtols, radio and cup holders. getting the controls to be flushed in was a huge pain in the you know what but a pain that sure looks good! we have taken it all back apart now and put the first coat of primer on it and we took apart the controls to spruce them up as well.

Attachments

• IMG_7604s.jpg
    IMG_7604s.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 1,391
  • IMG_7601s.jpg
    IMG_7601s.jpg
    279.8 KB · Views: 1,391
  • IMG_7598s.jpg
    IMG_7598s.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 1,391
  • IMG_7597s.jpg
    IMG_7597s.jpg
    374.6 KB · Views: 1,391
  • IMG_7594s.jpg
    IMG_7594s.jpg
    272.9 KB · Views: 1,391
  • IMG_7587s.jpg
    IMG_7587s.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 1,391
  • IMG_7582s.jpg
    IMG_7582s.jpg
    365.2 KB · Views: 1,391
  • IMG_7578s.jpg
    IMG_7578s.jpg
    326.2 KB · Views: 1,391
  • IMG_7573s.jpg
    IMG_7573s.jpg
    408.4 KB · Views: 1,391
  • IMG_7570s.jpg
    IMG_7570s.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 1,391
  • IMG_7569s.jpg
    IMG_7569s.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 1,391
  • IMG_7567s.jpg
    IMG_7567s.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 1,391
we finally got all the little bs stuff wrapped up yesterday and go the decks installed!! today i got the holes filled, replaced the shells where we drilled and filled and shelled the floor joint. i got the front hatches installed and added some wood underneath for support where there was not deck frame. we bought slam latches and im not sure how hard you have to slam these darn things to get them to actually latch but i am pretty sure it would take more effort that the latch could withstand! they look good though and work well from the latch/handle standpoint.

Attachments

• IMG_7660s.jpg
    IMG_7660s.jpg
    412.4 KB · Views: 1,334
  • IMG_7654s.jpg
    IMG_7654s.jpg
    293.9 KB · Views: 1,334
  • IMG_7653s.jpg
    IMG_7653s.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 1,334
  • IMG_7650s.jpg
    IMG_7650s.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 1,334
  • IMG_7645s.jpg
    IMG_7645s.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 1,334
Got the floor and rest of the boat in primer yesterday. we got two coats on pretty much the entire thing. the console had a couple days to dry so i started assmebling/wiring it up hope to finish or get close to finishing it tonight.

Attachments

• IMG_20120903_184016s.jpg
    IMG_20120903_184016s.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 1,319
  • IMG_20120903_213934s.jpg
    IMG_20120903_213934s.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 1,319
  • IMG_20120903_183229s.jpg
    IMG_20120903_183229s.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 1,319
vahunter said:
That looks excellent! You're doing an amazing job. Keep up the good work

thanks all of you guys,

how did you make out with your hatch?

got sanding done tonight and then mother nature decided to show her head!!