1989 Lowe 1242

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surveywaters

Reaction score
I was given this Lowe 1242 and I almost have the title [-o< . I was also given a basket case 1971 Evinrude 6hp Fisherman. Took about $100 in parts and a lot of time, but it runs ike a dream, I know the decals are for a '69 but the '71 were 3X as much, "and I almost have the title for it [-o< " . The trailer was being used as a storage rack by a friend, I made a better rack from angle and traded straight out. I wish I had pics of it before I sanblasted, painted, repaired, modified, etc. Here are before and afters, I added a piece of 3/4" to the front bench to support the seat mount, but I want to redo that and make it come back to the first rib to allow for life vest storage. I also want to deck from the rear bench to the stern for anchor and fuel tank storage as well as a level area for tackle while fishing. Any tips for framing, bracing or attaching of said frames and braces would be most welcome.
DSCN3181_zps17fd7728.jpg

DSCN3245_zpsbb225d2b.jpg

DSCN3194_zpsc28323b4.jpg

DSCN3239_zps22c33a55.jpg

DSCN3240_zpsfe6a125a.jpg

DSCN3246_zps7f8150dc.jpg

Started the new front deck. It's drying now. Not shown in the skeleton photo, I added a piece of 3/4" between the two center joist for more seat support. Will be bracing the floatuing end with 1" sq. tube.
DSCN3249_zpsc09b70c6.jpg

DSCN3252_zpsf8023e22.jpg

DSCN3251_zps038df52c.jpg

DSCN3253_zps2c68c788.jpg

I think it's obvious that the motor looks amazing and the notches in the support beam is pro. Jigsaw and then chisel to cut the grooves or plunge cut maybe? Anyway, looks fun! thanks for sharing. One more question; will you add a trolling motor? Guess we wait and see!

Not planning on a trolling motor yet, I've never used one. I probably couldn't live with out it once I tried though :) . I have a 24v Minn Kota someone gave me, but I can't see putting two batteries in this little boat. If I could run it on 12v I would atleast try it.

I would love to say I bought a larger piece for the support beam and then dadoed it, but I actually just cut filler stripsto bring it flush.

Thanks for the compliments. I love the site and just wanted to add my little mods for guys with simple dreams and a tiny boat.

Okay, front deck is done. My goal was to make a more stable mount for the seat and provide storage for life jackets; mission accomplished.
DSCN3260_zps30ba07db.jpg

DSCN3263_zpsde4d3c96.jpg

DSCN3266_zps696de0b3.jpg

DSCN3269_zps713bf546.jpg

Thought I'd throw a pic of my bunghole in here too :shock:
The boat apparently hit a rock and kind of squatted the drain hole abit. I decided to fix something that really wasn't a problem to begin with. Well, when I tried to straighten it, the weld broke free from the hull in three places. That's JB Weld marine epoxy in the image, I hope it sticks....
DSCN3270_zps7c542dff.jpg

I am having trouble with the rear deck. I want to cover the area behing the rear bench. The fuel tank sticks up higher than the bench. Anyone have pics or tips?

Maybe a sub-frame on top of the rear bench to make it a little taller?

Is that a Cox trailer you have? Looks great, by the way!

The only thing I know about the trailer is that it was sold by Sears.

I agree, a sub frame may be my only option, I didn't want to raise the driving seat, but I guess I'll have to.

Thank you.

Latest posts