1989 Sylvan Backtroller with Evinrude 25

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigDaddyLee

Reaction score
Picked this sweet little number up the other day. Interior is trashed and I'm stripping. Thinking of going with Gorilla PVC decking for the floor. Then PT for the sides and lids.

I have a couple questions. First, do I have to replace my foam insulation. The belly of the hill will get liquid rubber roofing to the inside. (No it doesn't leak, just a precautionary measure) and if I can find a way to run a few stringers across I won't need the foam for support of the floor. Secondly, if o do replace the foam, how much of the 4 lb pourable expansion foam do I want to get? Thirdly, I want to be able to pass this down to my boys eventually..... what else should I be doing to increase the longevity of this craft?

Attachments

• 20170427_180747.jpg
    20170427_180747.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 1,272
  • 20170427_181024.jpg
    20170427_181024.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 1,272
Welcome Aboard, Lee !!

I am assuming this is your first aluminum boat ?
with the ideas that you have, you really need to spend some time
using the "search" feature for any concerns you may have.
Gorilla PVC decking for the floor. Then PT for the sides and lids.
by using "PT" - are you referring to Pressure Treated wood ???

the things that are NOT to be used on tin boats is any pressure treated wood
that comes into contact with any metal surfaces.
also, roofing tar, spray seal, flex seal, and any other stuff you see on TV.

yes, all that old foam must be removed. if the wood is in that bad shape - so is the foam.
there are many many good builds in the forum that started off in the same condition
as yours and turned out awesome.
the first job on your plate is to get it completely stripped and clean.
then - take some photos and come back here to address your next steps.
the questions you are asking now are too far in advance . . . . wait until you have
it completely gutted and all the rotten wood removed, including the transom panel,
then you can get a lawn chair and sit it for awhile and make a plan.
foam is not support for the floor: it is for flotation only - aluminum or wood bracing is the floor supports.

just like eating a big samich - one small bite at a time !!
try doing too much at once and you will quickly become overwhelmed and frustrated.
As Dale says: Do it Right - Do it Once.

Note: Read, Understand and Follow the instructions on the label of all products you use.
Pay particular attention to the safety notes and heed the warnings accordingly.
any rags used in the prepping/painting process that have solvents, oils or paint on them,
should be layed out in the open to completely air dry prior to discarding them.

Thank You for the reply. Yes this is my first build and I will admit it does feel quite daunting now that I sit back and look. I was unaware of the pressure treated issue. The hull does not leak so I guess I will scrap the idea of trying to seal it. I was just hoping to increase some longevity, but it souhnds like it would be quite the opposite.

My apologies for being a Newb....... but we all gotta start somewhere.

oh please !! no apologies necessary !!
we were ALL new at one time or another.

once you get it completely stripped and clean,
there is an established order of putting it all back the way you want it.
doing the wrong one too early can cost you in time and money
when it has to be done over. the gallery here consists of some
very talented gents that have "been there - dont that" so you will
receive first hand experienced assistance when you need it.
good luck in your journey !! it can quickly go from the best time to your worst nightmare.

Notes: start collecting big pieces of cardboard to be used as templates later on.
make a plan in your mind as you progress through the project - write down all your notes
don't start buying materials until you have it completely gutted and a plan on paper.
using the wrong materials can come back to bite you

When gutting make sure you don't throw EVERYTHING out. Seat bases, cleats, hinges may all be reusable. Also once you get off the top of the decks, take some pictures of the framing. It's good place to start for your material list for a rebuild!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The frame is collapsed under the deck. There is nothing left. Will start from scratch. Brother in law is a phenomenal contractor. Lucking out there.

The rebirth has begun. Have fun

Personally I would fix the leaks. I've always been a favorite of the liners on the inside

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'd 5200 the seams and leaky rivets then lay down the bed liner

Latest posts