2012 Lowe A1667 - SOLD

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone know an answer to the seat question above?

Also, I just purchased a 12-gallon gas tank to give me longer range. I have the ability to put it in the bow between the first and second bench, or in the stern, behind the 3rd bench and before the split benches. I had read on another forum that it may be more important to move your batteries up front, since your gas tank will slowly lose weight (as you use gas), and that it should be more towards the center of gravity. Any opinions?

I am having the same questions. Logic is telling me that the batteries up front is a good idea, because of all the weight in back. Anything I can do to balance it out would be beneficial. Cant help with the seats.

On a side note, your doing great work. Keep it up. Looks nice!!

Answer to seat question: I did what you talked about, putting seat in base while underway. Had no problems. Just make sure it stays below the gunwale. Felt secure to me. My guess for the low speed rating is manufacturers insurance.

Thanks for the input guys. I mocked up the seat setup today, and with the additional height of the 2x2 frame and the 3/4" ply, the seat cushion will be almost level with the top of the gunwale. My wife didn't like the idea of the kids sitting there. I've got to come up with another idea now.

As I'm planning out where to store my 12 gallon tank, I realize it was a lot easier to lift my 6 gallon tank out of the boat. Fully filled, it was only around 40 pounds. The 12 gallon tank and will be much harder to remove and replace when fueling at the pump. In addition, I was going to place it where it would be difficult to remove at all.

If I really must remove it before refilling, I'm thinking about returning it and just taking two separate 6 gallon tanks.

How many of you remove your portable tanks before you fill them?

Nice job so far, Im sourcing out ideas and options for my 13' V-14, like the way you have the rod storage mounted up front.

Kensho, I didn't want to purchase four seats for my setup so to save money I just used four mounts and purchased two poles and seat mounts. This way I can quickly pull the seats out of the driving position mounts and move them to the pole mounts when we are ready to fish. I can pull the poles and stow them when not in use.

I plan to leave my six gallon tank in the boat.

Good luck brother.

Attachments

• _DSC0093.JPG
    _DSC0093.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,251
  • _DSC0085.JPG
    _DSC0085.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,251
  • _DSC0109.JPG
    _DSC0109.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,251
Thanks. I checked out your boat and it looks really good. I'm working slow on mine because I like seeing what everyone else is doing. This site is great for the beginner boat restorer.

Made a little more progress today. I worked on the fuel and battery compartments between the first and second bench seats.

I used some 1" aluminum angle iron and 3/4" ply. I plan on putting flotation under the two battery compartments and screwing D-rings into the wood for tie downs for the batteries and fuel tank after I paint everything. I was going to split the batteries and put one on each side for balance. One will be used for starting the engine, and the other for accessories and trolling motor.

20130615_152948.jpg

20130615_152913.jpg

20130615_153049.jpg

20130615_153151.jpg

Great looking project!! I had a similar boat with a 50 HP Johnson 2-stroke. I never burnt 6 gallons of gas in a single day, so you should be good. Fuel tanks should always be mounted on the center line of the boat like you have. If the boat lists to the right you might consider mounting both batteries on the left side.
Again, great looking boat.

Just got back from a vacation with the family, and I'm ready to start on the project again. Two questions:

1) For those who moved their fuel tank forward, did you run your fuel line in any conduit?
2) What size wire would I need from the starting battery back to the motor? I figure a run of about 14 feet, accounting for all of the angels and bends.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=319819#p319819 said:
kensho1976 » Today, 02:25[/url]"]Just got back from a vacation with the family, and I'm ready to start on the project again. Two questions:

1) For those who moved their fuel tank forward, did you run your fuel line in any conduit?
2) What size wire would I need from the starting battery back to the motor? I figure a run of about 14 feet, accounting for all of the angels and bends.
you could very safely run rubber fuel line under the floor. probably have to worry more about kinks than safety.

for your starter id go no smaller than 2 gauge given a 14 foot run... these low voltage starting systems have insane current appetites and you gotta keep em fed

Thanks Ben.

I ran the fuel line today. Just laid it under the seats where the holes for drainage are. There are a couple of sharp edges I'm a little worried about, but I think everything should be fine. It'll be covered by flooring and surrounded by foam, so I can't see it getting nicked.

I priced out 2 AWG cable, and dang is it expensive. I'm looking at close to $150 just for the wiring from the starter battery to the engine. Since I'm on a tight budget, I think I may leave the starter battery back near the motor for now and move the other battery to the front for the trolling motor and accessories. If I decide to shell out the cash for the copper cable, I can always move the starter battery later without too much of an issue.

good call on the battery... the remote idea is attractive until you have to run high load devices

you could also run two batteries- a small lawn mower type in the rear to start your engine and a deep cycle to run your other items. for the cost of copper these days it might be a good option

It's been raining quite a bit here in Tampa, Florida, so I've been trying to take advantage of it and finally finish the front deck. Unfortunately, I have little space in my garage, so it's slow going.

I bought round black pulls and black nylon hinges for the hatches.

I filled in any holes along the sides of the 3/4" ply with wood putty. Then I sanded it down with 150 grit paper and cleaned the dust off.

I put down two coats of Rust-Oleum Marine Coatings Primer. We dry fit everything when the white primer was dry. We originally thought we were going with dark tan (same color as the boat), but the white really popped. I put paint flakes on it dry, and the family really liked the look, so I decided to go with white instead of dark tan.

I followed up the primer with Valspar oil-based Satin Porch and Floor Paint in white from Lowes. I'll be putting the paint flakes down and then sealing with two or three coats of spar varnish. Thanks to Big for his inspiration with that one.

I'm chomping at the bit to be done with the front so I can take her out again. I'll still need to put the floor and back casting deck in, but at least the boat will be usable. This part took a lot longer than I thought it would given the limited space in the garage.

20130705_191858.jpg

20130717_173719.jpg

20130717_173735.jpg

Second top coat and paint flakes added today.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1374427335391.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1374427335391.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 1,375
Finished the last top coat of spar varnish. Added the pulls and nylon hinges I got from Ace Hardware. I'd like to add some of those spring hatch holders so the hatches will stay up. The spar varnish dried quickly (says 2-3 hours between coats). I spilled some on the port side and didn't see it, so when I went back a few hours later, it had made a nice glue like spot. Of course, it was the first thing my daughter saw when she came out to check on me.

small_20130723_160831.jpg

20130723_160725.jpg

I finally got the boat wet this weekend after the new deck install. I originally tried to seat myself and my two kids across the rear bench, but the boat seemed stern heavy. I had trimmed the motor all the way down, and the bow still wouldn't sink much in transit. With a heavier fishing buddy, I usually have no problem getting the bow to come down in transit.

Even after moving a kid to the wood in front, it still seemed stern heavy. I've looked at some pictures online of the Lowe tins, and they all seem to have the stern sitting low in the water, especially when stationary.

I had an idea to put the kids seats in the rear, making some kind of fold up doohickey, but I'm worried that the weight will be an issue.

I haven't moved the batteries to the front yet because of the expense, but that would shift about 100 pounds aft.

Also, does anyone let a person ride on the deck in a seat? Not one on an extension, but when the extension is off and the seat is plugged into the deck mount?