2000 Mercury 40hp trim switch issue

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

njTom

Reaction score
Have not had the boat out yet since purchasing it last november, but while winterizing it I noticed the up trim switch would cut out now and then. A friend recommended that I replace the solenoid. I replaced both (up and down) and still seem to be having the same problem. I can hit the trim switch at the motor or the control box and the motor will go up and down but after a few times of moving it back and forth when I push the up from either switch it stops working. I then can move the motor down and after pushing the trim switches up and down from either switch, the motor starts moving up again. Any ideas or suggestions of what I could try to figure out the problem? Could this be a short somewhere in the wiring?

Thanks
Tom

I'm guessing it's a bad ground, short,or bad trim switch on the controls. That's where I would start from.

Thanks for the reply lil' blue rude. When it comes to working on outboards I am clueless. Would checking for a bad ground or short be something simple to check or would you recommend having a professional look at it? I don't even know where to begin trying to trouble shoot :oops:

Latest posts