2006 G3 1436 mod

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am still not sure about my wiring. Do you have any suggestions?

Talons

Nav lights. Courtesy lights/floor lights, trolling motor, bilge pump, aerator, gps and fish finder.

I think that's it

Ok, that is pretty much the same things that I have. Like anything there's more than one way to skin a cat: first I'll tell you how I did my old boat- thoroughly a redneck engineering job.....but cheap and effective.

1) I wired the trolling motor independent of everything else (I'm doing the same thing on this mod) ran the + wire from battery to circuit breaker and then connected + side of trolling motor to the aux end of circuit breaker. Connected neutral from trolling motor to a wire than was directly connected to - terminal of battery. Housed the connections and circuit breaker in junction box from Lowe's.

2) all the other stuff was on 1 circuit. Again I housed the connections in a junction box from Lowe's. All the components I used were just the same that you would use in your house and then I connected the accessories to the circuit with a heavy duty outdoor extension cord. I used the + and neutral wires in the extension cord as independent + wires ( I could power 2 accessories with 1 run of cord) then I used the ground wire in the extension cord as a common neutral. For example I had a nav light and a fish finder at the front of the boat. I ran the extension cord up to the front and connected black wire in extension cord to + in nav light, white wire to + in fish finder and the neutrals from both accessories were connected to the green wire. Back at my switch panel/connection box the neutral was tied into a common neutral bus and the + for nav light went to switch + for fish finder was connected directly to main circuit.

In a nutshell, everything was run off one circuit and all the switches were on the + side of the circuit.

It wasn't very pretty but it was cheap(er) and worked fine.

My current project I'm using some fancier components for 2 reasons.

1) I want it to look nicer

2) I want to isolate accessories onto different circuits so if there is a problem, it is easier to find.

I have a 6 circuit breaker box and a 5 way switch plate. Again I am wiring the trolling motor totally separate. I am going to run a + wire directly from the battery to a 50A circuit breaker and then connect the - to the - terminal of the battery. I got some nifty looking trolling motor outlet made by attwood. So that will connect to the circuit breaker and battery and be mounted on the deck....then I just plug it when I use it.

The five way plate actually has six banks, one is for a cigarette lighter outlet. These banks are jumpered together on the + side and the switch is on the - side of each circuit. I am going to hook each jumpered pair to a separate circuit (1 circuit for two accessories ) then I am going to hook my fish finders up to another circuit and probably end up with 2 left over. I am not hooking the fish finders to the switch panel since I can switch them off at the display.

So the way I am doing this boat is a little different since the switches are all on the neutral side of the circuit. Hope that kind of makes sense. I'll post some pics of what I'm doing and that should put a little more meat to it.

Ok, I've been slacking on both working on my boat and posting most of the winter. But I have worked up a few things and wanted to post up some of my progress.

bilgepump.jpg

circuitbox.jpg

trollingmotorfuse.jpg

Here some of the flooring work I did in the middle of the boat. I put insulation in between the ribs and then cut out a deck, spar urethane coated it. I built up boxes on both sides. One has a hinged lid for storage and the other has the electrical switch plate, a depth finder, and two beverage holders.

flotation.jpg

flooring.jpg

Here is some of the progress I have made on the front deck. I'm putting hatches with with tackle trays near the front and an access for the batteries on one side. On the other side I am going to put in a baitwell tank for my minnows. I put my new DSI unit up front. I also am putting in the pedestal stool up front. I'm liking that so far. Next step, putting the trolling motor and spider rigging gear.

precarpetdecking.jpg

carpeteddeck.jpg

Latest posts