2020 motor on a 1982 boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tucker99

Reaction score
When looking at motors, the max size for my 14' boat is 25HP according to the mfg tag. New 25hp engines are about 160 Lbs, my old Johnson weights 120 Lbs. Is the extra weight unsafe?

Put the boat in the water and set a 5 gallon bucket of water on top of the motor. See what it feels like.
New Yamaha 25 is pretty light

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

My 2020 Yamaha F25, short shaft, manual tilt, electric start weighs about 135 pounds.

You could save weight by going with manual start. Those motors weigh a little less and you don’t need a cranking battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 25 horseoower Yamaha and Tohatsu/Mercury weigh less than 160 pounds - probably less than 20 pounds mote than the old Johnson. Worth a look.

the yamaha's are in short supply

dealer I work for is geting out of outboards and boats. No money in them, usually net loss once you figure in aged inventory, etc. I ain't happy about it but rarely work on them anymore anyway, they don't break, & people do their own maintenance (which is super simple). It doesn't help that the new owners could care less about boats/motors, or the entire brand for that matter.

we transferred all of the 25hp's ( some efi, then 2 were from 2014, other 4 were 16's)--all brand new. Have one 40hp tiller left and that's it, we're done with them I guess. Boss never talks to me so I don't know nothing. As a tech I'm just a mushroom. Feed me a bunch of crap and leave me in the dark.

when the 17 efi yamaha 25hp came out, nobody wanted the old versions anymore, and I don't blame them when it weighed over 180 lbs. That's a 60 pound weight difference between the efi models and the old carburetor models

My 1980 14’ Mirrocraft boat is rated for 25Hp, and I wanted a remote with electric start.

Two separate boat dealers would not install the 25Hp remote because of the weight. They both would install a tiller without electric start.

The Suzuki dealer had a 9.9Hp remote, electric start, and power tilt on demo, and I got a great deal.

By accident while searching for DF9.9 info, I found that the 9.9, 15, and 20 Hp are basically the same engine.

Did a lot of research and converted mine to 20Hp.

Goes about 20mph, lot lighter than the 25hp, and ended up saving a lot.

20 hp tohatsu is 95lbs and fuel injected. I've seen them run and they seem to be an overachiever for a 20.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

it was my understanding that the "new" 20hp yamaha is efi. Exactly the same engine as a 25, they just pulled 5hp out of it.

still heavy for a 20, however. In my opinion.

My dad has a 20hp carb, brand new 2014 model (bought used from the original purchaser). Love it. The carb setup works excellent; as good as efi. Runs almost identical to my 25, just a couple less mph. Sweet little motor!

tohatsu/merc (same motor) is a little on the weak side at lower speeds, or it felt that way to me. Could have been simply the rig it was mounted to, as I know nothing about that particular hull. Sure didn't impress me, aside from being easier to tilt (but not by much). It IS light, but look how they cut weight....lots of corners cut, it felt and looked a little cheesy. Little bit on the noisy side too in comparison to dad's F20. But it is cheaper, for a lot of reasons. Don't get me wrong, I'd own one, if I needed one, but would certainly rather own a yamaha, you just hardly ever see a used yamaha on the market. Come to think of it, not common to see a tohatsu on the used market either.

some guys hate the carburetor, others hate efi. I don't care either way as long as it starts/runs. Carb is a little easier to work on when/if the fuel gets old. efi, if you plug an injector or fuel pump, you're gonna spend a lot more money. It's a good practice to keep the fuel new, and keep in mind that the fuel also sits in the motor, so it's good to run it once in a while. Even if it's on the muffs or in a barrel.

when I said noisy, at around 1600-2400 rpm I can hear the lower unit gears "whining" a little, and the whine runs up the leg, I heard it pretty good. Also could hear the air intake and exhaust a little (combined). If I were trolling at, say 2000 RPM, I'd certainly be unhappy about the noise. Dad's is pretty close to silent. Actually this past week on the river, had a could other boats pass me going back to the dock really early, and could not hear them coming, both F15hp yamaha (which is identical to the carb F20).

Latest posts