3 way connector

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spes

Reaction score
Hello,
I plan on installing some LED lighting on my boat.

Would it be a no no to use 3 way connectors when daisy chaining the lights together?
3_way.jpg

I will probably be chaining 6-8 lights together and really don't want to purchase the "closed" bus bars. Would I be better off with an exposed buss bar at each split that I could liquid tape to seal up?

Thanks,,

I stay away from the three-way connectors and encourage my customers to do like-wise. I have also been told the same by a couple of marine surveyors that I know well. The rivet that holds everything together is not an absolute sealed piece. It can vibrate loose, hold moisture which starts corrosion and eventually causes high resistance and a voltage drop. I would either fit all three wires in a butt type crimp connector or do a clean solder connection and them wrap with shrink wrap or 3M Splicing Tape to keep water out. If you use shrink wrap, get the kind that has the adhesive on the inside that melts and flows around the wire.

Latest posts