36" or 42" TM shaft

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaisyCutter

Reaction score
I need to order a trolling motor for a 16' Alumacraft utility v-boat. It's got a 20" transom, and a 20 hp Merc outboard. I've determined the Minn Kota Max 55# transom mount is the motor I want.

The rub is in choosing the shaft length.

The Cabelas salesman says a 36" is right, because it's in stock now. Minn Kota says 42" for a 20" transom, because you need to have the motor submerged at least 12" under water.

I want to make sure the tiller on the TM doesn't interfere with the tiller on the outboard, but I really don't want an "ape hanger" TM tiller handle either, or a totally cumbersome long TM to deal with when I raise it up to use the primary outboard.

Am I better off with the 36" or the 42" shaft? Has anyone experienced this first hand?

I had a 16' aluminum starcraft. 5' at floors, 7' at beam.

I actually had a 55" shaft Minnkota on there and it worked great, EXCEPT in a very heavy chop when the motor would cavitate. Only had that happen 2 times though.

Oh sorry, I just realized you are using a transom mount TM.

I had a 36" shaft transom mount TM on there and it worked fine. BUT!!! The longer the shaft the higher your grip shift will be, so that you can stand when using it. I would go 42- 48", no question. You wont regret the extra length on rough days, or if you want to stand up when using it.

Latest posts