40hp motor on a 25hp boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had an 88' Eldocraft 15' bassboat with a 35hp force on it and it was fine. The only thing you have to worry about is the weight. If the weight of the 40hp isn't bad then I say go for it. I see guys with 30-35 hp motors on boats 14' and smaller. Usually when you step up to 40hp and larger motors the weights go way up.

Something overlooked by the added weight, is the damage done to the transom while trailering. The levering against your transom, as you hit each bump in the road needs to be of some concern.

I am guessing here but I think the weight difference is around 60lbs between a 25 hp and the 40 hp. What would be the best way to beef up the transom?

Boat ratings are in place for many reasons.

Weight ratings are in place because that is the maximum weight it can hold in the water and when towing SAFELY.

Motor ratings are in place because the power, transom/boat metal strength, weight and power distribution has to be balanced for these lightweight and somewhat weak boats.

Add in the extra weight on the rear of the boat when towing, you could literally break off the transom or bend/break the rear 30% of the boat, especially seeing how far back your boat sits on the trailer you have. Even with a longer trailer and more support towards the rear during towing, I would still not sacrifice yours or my safety by going to the larger motor.

Just because you can or others have, does NOT mean you should. Stay within the ratings and keep yourself safe and prevent chance of causing injury to others.

screwballl said:

Weight ratings are in place because that is the maximum weight it can hold in the water and when towing SAFELY.

Motor ratings are in place because the power, transom/boat metal strength, weight and power distribution has to be balanced for these lightweight and somewhat weak boats.

Add in the extra weight on the rear of the boat when towing, you could literally break off the transom or bend/break the rear 30% of the boat, especially seeing how far back your boat sits on the trailer you have. Even with a longer trailer and more support towards the rear during towing, I would still not sacrifice yours or my safety by going to the larger motor.

Just because you can or others have, does NOT mean you should. Stay within the ratings and keep yourself safe and prevent chance of causing injury to others.

Alumacraft currently builds deep V boats using the same hulls in tiller, and console configuration.
The tiller models are rated for 1/2 the horsepower as the console versions.
20 years from now that boat (a tiller) might be converted to a console boat. And the rating is still 75hp, VS 150 hp for the EXACT same boat only with a console.

HP ratings are not always rated the max the boat can handle, but usually with a BIG fudge factor built in.

screwballl said:

I agree 100% but as we all can see people are always willing to risk safety of themselves and others.
heck why not put a 150 on it???? just beef up the transom and you'll be fine.. I have seen others do it and nothing happened to them.
Like i said in my first post on this thread I was shocked that the first few poster said not to do it. If you want a 40 hp buy a boat that is rated for it

Kinda on a side note...
You may want to google 40hp Force outboards or Force outboards in general.
I'm not going to say anything bad about them but you still may want to see what other people think.

Just went and checked out the motor. It is actually a 35 hp Force by US Marine. The ID tag was faded to where I couldn't get any of the info. so if anyone can help with identifying it, I would really appreciate it. I will upload pics in just a few.

IMG_0431.jpg

Seems like that motor has an extension to make it a long shaft,which is also missing a bolt.

That spacer can be taken out to make a short shaft along with changing drive shaft,shift shaft,&water tube.

Depends where your at?(should finish your profile so people know where your from.)

By me I could have those parts in a day or direct you where to go in Michigan.

You would probably be better off adding a 5" riser to your transom.
Ebay used to be a good place to get parts but now nearly every auction is "buy it now" with prices that are about what they charge at marine salvage yards. Force parts are out there if you want to pay the price.
If you got that motor for a good price then you can always clean it up, sell it and look for a short shaft. In my area it seems most of the motors with remote steering are long shafts so you might be in for a hunt.

redbug said:
I agree 100% but as we all can see people are always willing to risk safety of themselves and others.
heck why not put a 150 on it???? just beef up the transom and you'll be fine.. I have seen others do it and nothing happened to them.
Like i said in my first post on this thread I was shocked that the first few poster said not to do it. If you want a 40 hp buy a boat that is rated for it[/quote]

Well there is a thing called personal judgment, and common sense.

So it is UNSAFE to repower the above cited Alumacraft boat that is rated at 75hp? Even though it's console version is rated at 150hp?

This isn't the only boat rated this way either. LOTS of boats are.

Truth is blanket statements that ignore the laws, common sense, and personal judgment are nonsense.

Do you ever speed while driving down the road? Why is that? The law says that you are only safe if you observe the posted speed limits.

catfishhunter said:
you will swamp it with that much horsepower .... would go that big to be on the safe side

:LOL2:

So increasing the HP by TEN HP will swamp the boat and make it unsafe?
:LOL2:

Even 15 hp difference isn't going to swamp it with that much horsepower

So ignore the fact that another boat built by the same company with the same deminsions is rated for a 50 HP. Ten HP more than what this guy wants to add?

Latest posts