40hp motor on a 25hp boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gillespiej03 said:
lckstckn2smknbrls said:
gillespiej03 said:
Wouldn't the remote steering increase the max hp?
It's rated at 25 with the remote steering.

Where did you get this info?
Maybe I got it wrong but I asked you if the remote steering was original, you answered Yes. That information and you state the boat is rated for 25hp. Maybe we are all answering the wrong question?

[/quote]
It's rated at 25 with the remote steering.[/quote]

Where did you get this info?[/quote]
Maybe I got it wrong but I asked you if the remote steering was original, you answered Yes. That information and you state the boat is rated for 25hp. Maybe we are all answering the wrong question?[/quote]

I think I got a little mixed up there. The Eldosport V, according to the information on iboats, is rated for 25 hp. Before I painted my boat the decals were Eldocraft Eldosport V C. I tried to find info but it doesn't seem to be out there. I did find a picture of and Eldosport VI that looked very similar to mine before I gutted it. If my boat is in fact rated for 25 hp. Would running a 35 on it be that dangerous including the extra weight from the mods. Like I said I am not into speed,

I myself would not do it unless that 35 fully assembled weighs in within 5-10 lbs of the 25. Otherwise from 25+ they tend to go up in weight quite a bit and can cause the rear to dip too low and get overrun with water.

I myself would not but I prefer to stay within safety limits when it comes to dangerous locations like air or water.

Some 25 hp and 35 hp motors are built from the same power head with the carb and exhaust being different. When you get to the 40 hp motors they may share parts with 50 hp motors.
My best guess is my boat is rated for 15 hp but I have a 25 on it I like the speed when I'm not duck hunting.

LonLB said:
catfishhunter said:
you will swamp it with that much horsepower .... would go that big to be on the safe side

:LOL2:

So increasing the HP by TEN HP will swamp the boat and make it unsafe?
:LOL2:

Even 15 hp difference isn't going to swamp it with that much horsepower

So ignore the fact that another boat built by the same company with the same deminsions is rated for a 50 HP. Ten HP more than what this guy wants to add?

yes it could swamp it , the weight alone could make a difference , let alone the extra 15 hrspwr. if the transom is to low it could be a recipe for a disaster. I have seen it first hand . my best thing to offer is try it and if ya feel safe the go with it . but the safety for yourself and others should be your first concern , not speed .

I was looking at trackers website. Their 1542 riveted jon boat is seems to have very similar measurements to my eldocraft. The tracker is rated for 25 hp without a console. Would adding a console to a boat like the tracker increase the hp rating enough to cover 35hp? Also, I believe the motor is an 88 force 35. The info I found said it weighs around 140 lbs.

Just adding some thoughts to the topic. I am new to boating and by no means any type of expert but if it were me I would personally follow the HP rating from the boat company. I am sure they put the rating there for good reason and not just to keep you from getting to your favorite fishing spot faster.
That being said I do wonder as to a point made a few days ago on this thread. Why two identical boats would have different HP ratings? One with a console and the other with the tiller option. I know they make tiller motors way above the 40 HP mark but the greater the HP of the outboard the heavier the outboard weighs.
I would think it comes down to weight in this matter. On smaller boats 140lbs (weight of the motor) is a lot in the back of the boat. Add a 200lb operator on the rear bench and a 6 gallon full fuel tank and you will have close to 400lbs in the back of that boat. Asking a lot out of a 15 - 20" transom.
Maybe with the console option the weight will be a little more evenly distributed in the boat. The driver in the middle with the fuel tank balanced somewhere in between allowing for more weight in the back and therefore a larger motor?

You will be fine with the 35. Some folks worry to much. Make sure you get the height right and a little setback would make it more fun.

Nevermind all this overpowering mambo jambo.....Its a Force motor, notorious for problems. I wouldnt buy it. Theres a reason they dont make Force outboards anymore. If they were good motors, they(chyrsler/bayliner/mercury/whatever) would not have abandoned the name.

Not to mention when you power down the rear of the boat will be flooded, Too much weight= sitting to low in the water= Oh Crap.

Plus for a boat that size the speed difference will be nill due to the extra weight. my two cents. :)

That is a 4 stroke. But I have seen a Tracker riveted 1542 with a 25 hp Yamaha at bass pro. Those weigh a good 170 lbs. my engine weighs 120 lbs dry. I'm not 100% positive but I think it is basically a beefed up 25 hp. I ordered new rings and gaskets for it and they were the same parts that are on 25 hp from that year.

Latest posts