Lithium Battery Question - 50AH LiFeP04 for a 55# thrust Minn Kota?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like Wieze has a dual purpose now, looks interesting to me since Id prefer just one battery and really only use it for TM and starting.

1713812443061.png

Looks like Wieze has a dual purpose now, looks interesting to me since Id prefer just one battery and really only use it for TM and starting.

View attachment 120184
I still wouldn't run one for cranking untill either my warranty is up or yamaha says they are OK. I think the biggest problem is charge profile from the alternator

I still wouldn't run one for cranking untill either my warranty is up or yamaha says they are OK. I think the biggest problem is charge profile from the alternator
Ahh yes, forgot about that issue! Probably will need two batteries then. Suzuki I plan to get recommends only Lead Acid. Also just read the stator from the Suzuki might not be able to charge the lithium battery either...

Ahh yes, forgot about that issue! Probably will need two batteries then. Suzuki I plan to get recommends only Lead Acid. Also just read the stator from the Suzuki might not be able to charge the lithium battery either...
I suspect now that these are more common and more people are using them that outboard manufacturers will deal with that on their end pretty soon. I'd love to go all lifepo4 I could save another 100lbs.

A high quality lithium starter battery won’t damage the alternator. However, the alternator will never fully charge a lithium battery. So top the battery off when you get home with a proper charger. They do work quite well, at least my Noco starter battery has. Whether it’s worth it for your application is really your call. I would not try this with an el’cheapo lithium starter battery.

I’m Ok with it for small boats but, I’ll stick to lead acid for the bigger outboards that can’t be easily started by hand.

Last fall, up until two weeks ago I also went with cheaper brands 50ah for my 93sv and HB5 sonar/gps on the 12ft.Jon Topper (1) wgt savings installed in middle seat (2) images appear to be cleaner I kept the 31 series for TM and moved it to the front of third seat in the stearn, balances out very well. Now, the PT185 has100ah (2) for 75# 24v olStearns, (soon to be a Proguide Tour or basic Power Drive..waiting on a sale) 50ah for house sticking with 27series AGM starter for the 90hp again weight savings! NOCO 10x2 and Suuwer 5A keeps everything going.