78-80 Evinrude 25Hp Kill Switch?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JGibson

Reaction score
I have an 80 model evinrude 25hp frame with a 78-79 power head. I'm wondering how to hook up a kill switch on it if anyone knows or can point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it. Need more info, just ask. Thanks

I put one on my 86 Johnson 25. It had the kill switch at the end of the throttle grip but I wanted the extra safety of a lanyard one too. I hooked it in parallel with the factory one so that activating either one will kill the motor. I just found the wire coming out of the grip and used a blue automotive style parallel splice to do it. It was the best to use in the limited space. Think I had to pull the starter loose to get at it. I covered it in silicone to weather proof it and it works great. The one I got was from Amazon. Just search "universal outboard kill switch" and pick one. I think I got the SeaChoice brand.

If you need more info or want pics, let me know. I can get some tomorrow.

Jeff

Just in case the previous post didn't help you much. The switch has to be a normally open style switch. The wire you are looking for on the powerhead is black with a yellow tracer (bl/y) This wire has to be grounded in order to shut the engine off therefore one side of the switch will have the BL/Y and the other side will go to a powerhead ground. Pretty simple.
Word to the wise.....the BL/Y carries up to 300v on it while the engine is running so make sure you do not touch it when running.

Hi Pappy,

You've always been the expert on here, but isn't the kill switch a normally closed switch that is opened when the lanyard is in position? The removal of the lanyard closes the circuit and dumps the signal to the motor ground.

If I'm misunderstanding, please correct me. :)

kofkorn said:
Hi Pappy,

You've always been the expert on here, but isn't the kill switch a normally closed switch that is opened when the lanyard is in position? The removal of the lanyard closes the circuit and dumps the signal to the motor ground.

If I'm misunderstanding, please correct me. :)

Semantics! Re-read your own post....... =D>
You have the operation absolutely correct. The switch, in order to run is always (normally) open.
When the lanyard is pulled the spring operated switch slams shut and closes the circuit between BL/Y and ground.

Thanks guys. Pappy, your answer is the one I was needing. My motor has the switch on the frame and not the arm. It has been unhooked (cut for some reason) and the wire removed all but about 4 inches from the switch. I do have one wire coming off of a coil that shocked me the other day, might that be the one I'm looking for? It looks to be bl/y. Hard to tell, it's covered and I didn't want to do anything to it right now.