'93 Johnson 25HP J25RETS

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tucker99

Reaction score
Just got the boat and finished replacing transom and refurbishing seat mounting. Moving on to the engine. The tilt/run/shallow water lever was broken off, and the tilt pin (or trim pin) was missing. The engine was pushing against the stern bracket tie-bar. The replacement parts are expensive and I'm having a hard time figuring out how to reinstall and set the reverse lock springs and linkage. The shop manual doesn't show a diagram, it shows a pic and it doesn't help much. The parts diagram on parts.net isn't helping much either. I was thinking of buying a used steering bracket for spare parts and a hands on look at how to assemble. Is there a good used parts source for these old Johnson engines?

Attachments

• Mirro Craft.jpg
    Mirro Craft.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 134
tucker99 said:
Just got the boat and finished replacing transom and refurbishing seat mounting. Moving on to the engine. The tilt/run/shallow water lever was broken off, and the tilt pin (or trim pin) was missing. The engine was pushing against the stern bracket tie-bar. The replacement parts are expensive and I'm having a hard time figuring out how to reinstall and set the reverse lock springs and linkage. The shop manual doesn't show a diagram, it shows a pic and it doesn't help much. The parts diagram on parts.net isn't helping much either. I was thinking of buying a used steering bracket for spare parts and a hands on look at how to assemble. Is there a good used parts source for these old Johnson engines?

Best thing to do is look for pics on E bay of the part from your same model year or there abouts and see if you can find something that looks out of place.

Has anyone had luck with aftermarket fuel pumps? The ones for $28 from Bay Area Power Sports vs OEM for $76 (plus shipping).

My experience is that the knock-offs do not last very long. The rubber seals degrade rather quickly.

Sometimes the cheapest option ends up being the most expensive because you have to replace it right away.