A couple quick questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 29

Reaction score
1. I have a Yamaha 9.9 on the back of my G3 1756SC. I’ve been using a transom saver for a many years with the 9.9. I live 5 minutes from my lake, a couple of hills but nothing major. Do I need to use the transom saver? Thanks

2. Some of the water is about a foot deep and I’d like to access some of the spots. Any suggests for a 9’-12’ push pole? Thanks.

I doubt you’d need it for that trip. Heck, I best most here don’t even use one on bigger motors.

Not just a push pole, but West Marine sells a heavy duty telescoping boat pole (point & hook on the end) that extends to 14’. I have one and have used it to push my boats 21’ - 25’ off sandbars or out of the shallows. Ballpark $89.

I have a 25hp motor that stays in the down position and wouldnt hesitate to take it cross country.

If you have enough room between the skeg and the road leave it down and youll be fine.

I launch on a couple of sketchy ramps and changed all the bunks on my trailer to get my boat as low as possible. Can't trailer with the outboards down (one main and one kicker). I do not use a transom saver and have never had a problem. Most trips are less than 20 miles one way. I have trailered through several states before though.

An easy way to support the motor in up position is to run a strap around back side & hook ends to transom.

If you have a new motor I'd do like the manufacturer suggests because some of them want them trailored certain ways. If it's a used motor do what you want. Some people use a transom saver, some don't. I always use them on both my motors.

eeshaw said:
If you have a new motor I'd do like the manufacturer suggests because some of them want them trailored certain ways. If it's a used motor do what you want. Some people use a transom saver, some don't. I always use them on both my motors.

"If you have a new motor I'd do like the manufacturer suggests. . ."

Now why would we want to listen to the guys who actually designed and built the motors! Haha.

CedarRiverScooter said:
An easy way to support the motor in up position is to run a strap around back side & hook ends to transom.

I don't understand and I'm curious. Explain more please?

I wrap a ratchet strap around my outboards and attach the ends of the strap to the corners of the transom. This is to stop my motors from swinging back and forth everytime I go around a turn. But, those straps are pulling the motors down, not up. Oh, wait a second....

Maybe pulling the motors down stops them from jumping off of the latch that holds them up?

I always use my transom saver on my 60 horse motor whether I am towing it a half an hour or towing it for seven hours. I install my 8 horse in the parking lot where the boat ramps are. The 8 horse is only on my boat when I use the boat

I have a raised deck in back, covering my jet ski engine. My outboard is backup power (it has come in handy). So I have eyelets mounted high that I can attach strap to. Strap wraps under the powerhead pan. It is good for me because if I need to switch engines midstream I can drop it fast. Sorry no pictures, boat is in storage.

Just rambling here, the transom saver is best if you don't need to have outboard up when using boat.

On my last boat, the skeg would clear the ground no problem, I just left it down.

My current boat will not, so I use a transom saver.

Even if your skeg will not allow you to leave it down, with a just a 9.9 you should be fine leaving the motor up on the locks without a transom leg. That is a good size boat, designed to handle a much bigger motor than that I'm guessing, you won't hurt it.

LDUBS said:
eeshaw said:

"If you have a new motor I'd do like the manufacturer suggests. . ."

Now why would we want to listen to the guys who actually designed and built the motors! Haha.

About an issue concerning the transom?

Beats me, they call it a transom saver for a reason.

I think of the transom saver to be more for my outboard PT&T and to prevent the skeg from damage than to protect the transom.

Many outboard Mfg's suggest use of a transom saver. I wonder if many boat Mfg's (not dealers) recommend them. Mine was silent on the subject.

LDUBS said:
I think of the transom saver to be more for my outboard PT&T and to prevent the skeg from damage than to protect the transom.

Many outboard Mfg's suggest use of a transom saver. I wonder if many boat Mfg's (not dealers) recommend them. Mine was silent on the subject.

I wouldnt worry so much about the hydraulics, they will basically lift the entire boat to the point of deforming the transom. They are under considerable stress while underway.

Ive always been lucky enough to tow with my motors down, but did try towing with the motor up once.

It looked like it wanted to flop off and land on the road. I see this more often than Id like and it just makes me cringe.

Thanks RBW. That is good info. I do raise my outboard when I'm towing. I don't use a traditional transom saver. I use a rubber wedge thing that fits in the PT&T. And I have the steering wheel tied down so the motor won't flop from side to side.

After cracking one of the cross members on my trailer, I've learned to slow down on rough roads.

I want to thank you all for your replies. I think for the 2 minutes it takes for me to put the transom saver on, I’ll keep doing so. An ounce of prevention and all that!