Actual Working Capacity

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nevillizer

Reaction score
I got a question: I have a 1978 Alumicraft 1432 flatbottom boat. It is power by an 80's model Johnson 9.9. Now from what I have read the capacity seams to be 2 people or around 500 lbs. How accurate is this rateing? The reason I ask is I was plannning on doing some minor modifications (see below), but I if I do, once completed I will be in excess of the reccomended weight limit with just me and my gear. It seems to me this 500 lbs rating is a little on the lite side. Any body know what the actual safe tolerance is?

FYI: my ideal for mods is installing some rod boxes along the gunwhales, extend the bow deck back 26" for storage / live well, 40 lb thrust trolling motor, battery box, and flat decking the floor on top of the ribs, two folding seats w/quick disconnect mounts mounted on the benches, and additional telecopsing seat mounts w/quick dissconnect on the actual floor, and a home made bi-mini top made from pvc and a camo tarp (its bright and sunny down here in Cen-Tex).

Thanks for the help.

there should be a capacity plate that lists the maximum number of people, max people weight, and max over capacity.
Going over, especially if obvious by sitting too low in the water, could get you a nice fine if stopped. The lake I go to most has patrol boats and they will pull you over and have on occasion just wrote down numbers and been waiting for people at the ramps with ticket book in hand.

I would say on a narrow low sided 1432, that is probably pretty accurate.
Can you get away with some extra weight? probably but why take chances.

The only plate left attached is the serial number plate. No other plate is present. As far as a fine for over capacity, I'm not to worried about that where I am. I'll load her down with some ballist that equals the amount of weight that I anticipate and see where the water lines is and go from there. Goos ole fashion trial and error I guess. Thanks for the input.

most modified jon boats are over capacity by the time two people and gear are onboard.

Latest posts