Alumacraft 14 Build

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I were you I would put it in the water. Walk around on the deck and see how stable it is. If it scares you then I would change it. I wouldn't redo all of your work until you know that it doesn't work. Just a thought.

Ok but if I cut the deck now and have to lower it...I will have to trim the deck to drop it down those 2 inches. I don't. Have direct access to a nearby lake either. is it really gonna be that unstablethe way it is? Does anyone know if I can just continue with that height or need to take it down 2 inches to the seats?

if your deck does not sit any higher than the bench seats you should be fine. when i did my front deck i just layed a piece of plywood across the top of what was already there for the front seat. and then i just framed it back a little, leveled it out, and it's pretty stable at that height. my boat is a 1436 jon, and im 6' tall 165 lbs, and my dad who always comes out on the boat with me is 6' 150 lbs, and with the two of us both standing up in the boat at the same time, i on the front deck, my dad in the back of the boat, niether of us had the slightest feeling that it was unstable.
see my post for better details. trophybass.

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=17916

ok, so having it 2 inches higher than the seats will be a prob. so I do you suggest I take the 2x4s off and attach the decking at bench height?? If I can get away with it being like it is, I wouldn't have to rebuild.

Put on boat resin from west marine 4 days ago and it is still sticky...not ennough hardener? Do I just try it again over it with more hardener?

I have just about the same boat:

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=14681

My deck is a few inches higher than the benches and it seems reasonably stable to me... I have fished from it quite a bit this year, and I haven't fallen in. Just keep in mind: there is going to be a certain amount of wobble no matter what you do, and the width at the front of these boats is less than ideal. If one is not being careful, it wouldn't be hard to accidentally fall in. If I am being totally honest, I have to pay a lot of attention to my surroundings: a big enough wake from another boat could easily throw you off. Also, the trolling motor I installed came off of a 20' fiberglass Bass Boat, and thus, is a little overpowered: if the speed is set too high, it will throw this little boat into motion with quite a jerk. The closest I have come to falling out was due to that...

One thing I know would help a great deal would be a good pedestal seat up front. It would be perfect then... I haven't installed one yet because I have yet to finalize my design up front...

mmf said:
Do not use treated wood in an aluminum boat. Either buy marine grade or exterior grade plywood and seal it with marine spar varnish or fiberglass resin. The treated wood has chemicals that will leach out of the wood and attack the aluminum in your boat causing severe corrosion to take place, also make sure to use only stainless steel fasteners too. Good luck with your project! Nice looking boat too!

Hey there,

What type of wood would you suggest for replacing wood benches? Can I use spar urethane on the benches as well? I will probably cover with carpet.

Finally done, having a baby during the build did not speed up the process, but nonetheless, all I need to do is finish up some painting, get her registered, and put some fuel in her.

Attachments

• done.jpg
    done.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 378
  • done close front.jpg
    done close front.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 378
  • done front.jpg
    done front.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 378
  • done back.jpg
    done back.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 378
Turned out really nice, I would like to see pictures of the compartments and the paint.... the paint looks like a good mix in colors...

It looks awesome!! Nice Job! =D> =D> =D>

You'll have to let us know how it works on the water. I am in the process of building an alumacraft as well, but I kept the floors absolutely as low as possible for stability reasons. The main downside is I have no storage now. Let us know how it performs, as I would be interested to know how the stability is. Looks awesome though!

Ok guys, had the boat out almost every week of the summer! No problems at all!!!!! Love the boat. Ill show picks of compartments and paint.