Alumacraft 1648 Project - Getting Ready, Again

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I relocated my transducer today. Took the boat out last weekend and while running on my trolling motor at 3.9 mph :LOL2: I saw all kinds of fish, but when I slowed down they would be gone? I had mounted my transducer too close to a strake, I think. So I moved it out board similar to how Jay and Kevin have theirs mounted. We'll see how it works tomorrow.

Attachments

• Trans 1.jpg
    Trans 1.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 1,644
  • Trans 2.jpg
    Trans 2.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 1,644
Jay415 said:
Looks great Mike! I really like the mounting block you installed. I think I should have done the same.
Thanks Jay, I bought the smallest cuttiing board I could find at Wally World and made it from that :LOL2: .

gillhunter said:
Jay415 said:
Looks great Mike! I really like the mounting block you installed. I think I should have done the same.
Thanks Jay, I bought the smallest cuttiing board I could find at Wally World and made it from that :LOL2: .

Did you just cut it to size with a circular saw? Or is there a better way? Looks like you got a really clean cut.

dyeguy1212 said:
gillhunter said:
Jay415 said:

Did you just cut it to size with a circular saw? Or is there a better way? Looks like you got a really clean

Thanks, I used my 10" table saw with a 90 tooth blade.

Took the boat out last weekend after remounting my transducer. Still got some "funny" readings. Lowered it a bit and took it out again today. Much better.

Attachments

• trans3.jpg
    trans3.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 1,305
  • Trans4.jpg
    Trans4.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 1,305
I really like this boat. You have done great work and your craftmanship shows. I am considering putting together a boat, much like yours. The problem is I can decide on the bench model or ncs model. If I may ask, how is rod storage ith the center bench? The thing I do not like about the ncs, is the long front deck. I am a panfisherman, and dont stand up that much. Once again beauitful boat and workmanship

dwaynesworld said:
I really like this boat. You have done great work and your craftmanship shows. I am considering putting together a boat, much like yours. The problem is I can decide on the bench model or ncs model. If I may ask, how is rod storage ith the center bench? The thing I do not like about the ncs, is the long front deck. I am a panfisherman, and dont stand up that much. Once again beauitful boat and workmanship

Thanks! I am a panfisherman also. I usually take 2 rods each for my wife and myself when we go. I put the rod butts against the center seat on the right side of the boat and let the tips angle out by the rear anchor winch. I'll try and take a picture when I get home. We also struggled between the NCS and the bench model, but battery storage potential in the center seat is why we choice this model.

gillhunter said:
dwaynesworld said:

Thanks! I am a panfisherman also. I usually take 2 rods each for my wife and myself when we go. I put the rod butts against the center seat on the right side of the boat and let the tips angle out by the rear anchor winch. I'll try and take a picture when I get home. We also struggled between the NCS and the bench model, but battery storage potential in the center seat is why we choice this model.

Here's a couple of pictures.

Attachments

• Rod1.jpg
    Rod1.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 1,216
  • Rod 2.jpg
    Rod 2.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 1,216
gillhunter said:
I relocated my transducer today. Took the boat out last weekend and while running on my trolling motor at 3.9 mph :LOL2: I saw all kinds of fish, but when I slowed down they would be gone? I had mounted my transducer too close to a strake, I think. So I moved it out board similar to how Jay and Kevin have theirs mounted. We'll see how it works tomorrow.

If you were in SI mode, the best "picture" is produced in the 3-5mph range from what I've read on other forums. In DI mode, you should still be moving, but slower (~1mph) +/-, is acceptable. I just ordered a Low HDS 8 w/ SS today, so I'll be pulling my hair (what's left anyway) in the near future. My comments about speed are based on my readings from comments made by HB/LOW reps, and people that have SI/DI not 1st hand experience .

TNtroller said:
gillhunter said:

If you were in SI mode, the best "picture" is produced in the 3-5mph range from what I've read on other forums. In DI mode, you should still be moving, but slower (~1mph) +/-, is acceptable. I just ordered a Low HDS 8 w/ SS today, so I'll be pulling my hair (what's left anyway) in the near future. My comments about speed are based on my readings from comments made by HB/LOW reps, and people that have SI/DI not 1st hand experience .
Did you get a gen 1 or 2, i think you can get the rebate for a few more days as well.

TNtroller said:
the best picture is obtained by adjusting chart speed to match boat speed. If you traveling 3 mph set chart speed to 3. This will give you the most accurate representation of structure. Faster chart speed than boat speed everything gets stretched. Slower chart speed than boat speed everything gets condensed. Same goes for SI, DI, and sonar

Bugpac said:
TNtroller said:
gillhunter said:

Did you get a gen 1 or 2, i think you can get the rebate for a few more days as well.

got the Gen 1, rebates are good thru May I think, I printed off the rebate form but left it a work,

My wife kicked my rearend today :LOL2: . I couldn't buy a bite, so I had to be happy baiting her hook. She had a real nice 9 incher, as well as several other nice ones.

Attachments

• 042912a.jpg
    042912a.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 1,136
  • 42912c.jpg
    42912c.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 1,136