Alumacraft 1648 Project - Getting Ready, Again

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, This is our 5th boat, all tins. Each got bigger, heavier and more complex, until this one. The idea was to keep it as simple as possible. This boat has put the fun back into fishing for us.

This is why we built this boat. Got on the water about 8:00 this morning. Got into some gill on the second spot we tried. They were coming up and hitting our crickets it was hard to get a hookset and we lost a number of fish at the boat. Nothing big all between 7 1/2" and 9". It was a great morning.

Attachments

• 072912a.jpg
    072912a.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 1,206
  • 072912b.jpg
    072912b.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 1,206
  • 072912d.jpg
    072912d.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 1,206
  • 072912e.jpg
    072912e.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 1,206
  • 072912f.jpg
    072912f.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 1,206
gillhunter said:
This is why we built this boat. Got on the water about 8:00 this morning. Got into some gill on the second spot we tried. They were coming up and hitting our crickets it was hard to get a hookset and we lost a number of fish at the boat. Nothing big all between 7 1/2" and 9". It was a great morning.

Sandy Creek?

Bugpac said:
gillhunter said:

Sandy Creek?
Yep, there was only one other boat there.

Got out again this morning about 8:00. Nothing like being with your favorite person, having a hot cup of coffee and watching your bobber go under. :D
Slow bite, but we put 20 nice ones in the basket. Off the water by 11:00.

Attachments

• 080512 004.jpg
    080512 004.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 1,131
  • 080512 001.jpg
    080512 001.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 1,131
Another nice day,wtg.
I can't get over how nice the ramps are down there,except for acouple lakes,theres none where I live.

Zum said:
Another nice day,wtg.
I can't get over how nice the ramps are down there,except for acouple lakes,theres none where I live.

There are a lot of nice ramps in Georgia. All the lakes are actually reservoirs for either flood control and power generation or water supplies. The big lake's ramps can get pretty busy on the weekends. The last time I fished Lake Lanier I had to wait an hour to retrieve my boat. We fish the small lakes now that are either 10hp restricted or total electric. It's much less crowded and a lot more peaceful.

Gill,

That's exactly the kind of days I envisioned when I first started looking for a boat. Unfortunately, my wife is a bit scared of the water and I couldn't get her to accept riding around in a jon boat. After looking at some of your postings, I'm beginning to think I ought to revisit the subject.

I live on the south side of Jefferson, so Sandy Creek, Bear Creek and Fort Yargo are all short drives from were I live via Highway 11, 129 and 330.

DaveInGA said:
Gill,

That's exactly the kind of days I envisioned when I first started looking for a boat. Unfortunately, my wife is a bit scared of the water and I couldn't get her to accept riding around in a jon boat. After looking at some of your postings, I'm beginning to think I ought to revisit the subject.

I live on the south side of Jefferson, so Sandy Creek, Bear Creek and Fort Yargo are all short drives from were I live via Highway 11, 129 and 330.

Dave,
My wife is also a bit scared of water. We were fishing out of the Polar Kraft in the pictures below when we moved to Georgia. It was 16'8" long with a 85" beam and the hull weighed over 1000 lbs. I took her to Athens Marine to look at 1648s at least 10 times over the course of a year. We kept the Polar Kraft for a year before selling it after we built the 1648 and never fished it again. Sandy Creek, Bear Creek and Yargo are where we fish. The are all peaceful. She has become very comfortable in the boat and even stands on the front deck. She was ok with Richard Russel, but I could only get her on Lanier once with all the boat traffic.

You need to finish your current project, which you have done an outstanding job on =D> Then build an all electric :LOL2:.

Attachments

• Polar Kraft 168SC.jpg
    Polar Kraft 168SC.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 1,067
  • 060306 002.jpg
    060306 002.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 1,067
Mike,

That's a nice looking craft. Looks a lot like the boat I now have. I'm getting close in my project. The motor is at a mechanic's to have him thoroughly go over it and bring it back to life after been asleep for years.

I've finished my transom board and I'm working on cleaning, scuffing, priming and painting the rear deck structure now. The seats are mounted, though I may have to add a splash shield. Replacing the driver/passenger seats has been a pain and I did a quick nasty solution, but it'll do until I locate some seats I'm satisfied with for those locations. In trying to finish the boat, I'm running into a lot of things where I have to make a compromise between using a less expensive material and getting it done versus doing something real nice and having it delayed another season.

My current hope is to have the boat in the water this fall. 8)

I see you did a great job restoring you boat. It looks professional. I just scanned the photos and didn't see that you painted the boat but assume you did. If so, what paint did you use and how has it held up over time? I am in the process of rebuilding my aluminium boat and having a hard time finding paint and primer for use below the water line without costing me $200. My build is called Tom's Jonboat to Bass boat project with photos". Please reply if you can. Thanks.

Here is a link to what I am doing.

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=27078

Jonboat2Bassboat said:
I see you did a great job restoring you boat. It looks professional. I just scanned the photos and didn't see that you painted the boat but assume you did. If so, what paint did you use and how has it held up over time? I am in the process of rebuilding my aluminium boat and having a hard time finding paint and primer for use below the water line without costing me $200. My build is called Tom's Jonboat to Bass boat project with photos". Please reply if you can. Thanks.

Here is a link to what I am doing.

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=27078
Your project looks like you are coming along nicely! Sorry to disappoint, but my project was a straight build, not a restoration. The color of the boat is tritech olive drab, 952-610. It is available from Sherwin Williams.

We finally got out again this morning. Beautiful early fall day. Were fishing for bluegill, but kept catching these dang things :LOL2: :LOL2:

Attachments

• 090912.jpg
    090912.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 1,473
That's alot better than just drowning worms :wink: Hope the fish continue to bite for You, no matter what they are. [-o< I know about killin' worms, since the only time I've gotten the new boat out, I only caught 2 nice fat bluegills, #-o I was fishing for walleye with jigs and worms in 24' of water. Oh well I caught something first time out. It'll get better now that the lake traffic has gone back to school =D> Hey Good Luck and tight lines
Nick

novaman said:
That's alot better than just drowning worms :wink: Hope the fish continue to bite for You, no matter what they are. [-o< I know about killin' worms, since the only time I've gotten the new boat out, I only caught 2 nice fat bluegills, #-o I was fishing for walleye with jigs and worms in 24' of water. Oh well I caught something first time out. It'll get better now that the lake traffic has gone back to school =D> Hey Good Luck and tight lines
Nick
We had a lot of fun this morning! Catching bass, even small ones on 4 lb. and and a 6' light action rod is fun. :LOL2:

I put a Humminbird 597ciHD sonar unit on the boat this year. After relocating and adjusting the transducer a few times and adjusting the settings a few times and maybe just learning how to use it. I seem to have figured out how to find some fish with it :LOL2: . The last couple of times we got out we have had pretty good results. Sunday morning was beautiful. The Mrs. and I packed a thermos of coffee and a couple of egg sandwiches and off to the lake we went. Kept a nice little mess of gill and released a bunch more.

Attachments

• 0916122.jpg
    0916122.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 1,430
I just scrolled through this thread and looked at the pics, I like what you have done. I'm getting all of the stuff rounded up to put a floor in mine and and mount a bow mount trolling motor. Mines only a 14 topper from Bass Pro.

gillhunter said:
I put a Humminbird 597ciHD sonar unit on the boat this year. After relocating and adjusting the transducer a few times and adjusting the settings a few times and maybe just learning how to use it. I seem to have figured out how to find some fish with it :LOL2: . The last couple of times we got out we have had pretty good results. Sunday morning was beautiful. The Mrs. and I packed a thermos of coffee and a couple of egg sandwiches and off to the lake we went. Kept a nice little mess of gill and released a bunch more.

Now You're making me jealous, it's been 2 wks. since I got out and only caught 1 walleye, and 2 small bass. I've been working on the trailer , that'llk be under the Tracker pretty soon. I've got some pics to gather up for a post under the trailer thread, and I'll be ready for the fall runs on wally's and salmon. Just looked at MI. fish report and there are a good no. of steelhead working their way to Berrien Springs by the weekend.
Looks like a real nice mess of FAT bluegills in that basket, and I can almost smell them frying, that and a nice salad and a COLD beer. Now I'm really jealous. Keep up the good ( ya can't call it work) relaxation, and I'll be recreating soon.

I got to take my oldest grandson, Eli fishing for the first time last weekend! My daughter and son-in-law just relocated back from Oklahoma to South Carolina after a 3 year project. Eli just turned 8 and is a pretty good little fisherman. We caught a nice mess of bluegills that we sent home with him. He does a good job of lipping a bass, but had a heck of a time holding on to a bluegill for a picture. :LOL2:

Attachments

• 102712 (25).jpg
    102712 (25).jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 1,345
  • 102712 (26).jpg
    102712 (26).jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 1,345