Alumacraft 1648 Project - Getting Ready, Again

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gillhunter said:
My wife kicked my rearend today :LOL2: . I couldn't buy a bite, so I had to be happy baiting her hook. She had a real nice 9 incher, as well as several other nice ones.
lol, you've been married long enough to know, sometimes you have to "let" them out fish you!!

Jay415 said:
gillhunter said:
My wife kicked my rearend today :LOL2: . I couldn't buy a bite, so I had to be happy baiting her hook. She had a real nice 9 incher, as well as several other nice ones.
lol, you've been married long enough to know, sometimes you have to "let" them out fish you!!

Thanks Jay! But she really did smoke me! I really don't understand why some days when you are casting 5' from each other that one of you catches a bunch an the other comes up with nothing. :roll:

Getting ready to go to Michigan to fish for a week at the end of the month. So I put the Honda back on today. I installed a bilge pump over the winter, and we have been fishing total electric this spring. I was concerned that my gas tank would bounce around and hit the bilge pump. I didn't want to install something to secure the tank that would block my access to the drain plug. After thinking up a lot of bad solutions I decided to just install a bungee cord. I drilled a couple of hole in the transom braces to locate the bungee. I think it is going to work ok.

Attachments

• Gas Tank 2.jpg
    Gas Tank 2.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 1,322
  • Gas Tank 1.jpg
    Gas Tank 1.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 1,322
We are going to pull the boat up to northern Indiana next weekend for a few days of fishing. Thought it would be a good idea to put on some guide post lights on the trailer. Picked up a set of Smith's at Academy Sports. Installation wasn't too difficult, except for fishing the wire down through the guide mounts. Used a piece of clothes hanger to pull the wire through with. Looks like they will work all right and it should be easier to keep track of the back of the trailer in the dark.

Attachments

• Trailer Lites e.jpg
    Trailer Lites e.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 1,289
  • Trailer Lites b.jpg
    Trailer Lites b.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 1,289
  • Trailer Lites d.jpg
    Trailer Lites d.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 1,289
Some bluegill from this weekend. Kept enough for a nice little meal for the two of us.

Attachments

• 052112_(9).jpg
    052112_(9).jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 1,264
  • 052112_(8).jpg
    052112_(8).jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 1,264
  • 052112_(2).jpg
    052112_(2).jpg
    78 KB · Views: 1,264
Hello gillhunter. A few days ago I brought home my new 1648/20 and a new trailer. I was wondering if you used 1/2" ply everywhere or not. I'm doing a similar but probably more basic floor. I'm doing doing wood and carpet on the back bench, on the ends of the middle bench, on the front deck, and on the 2 floor sections. On the floor I'm probably doing each section with 2 pieces of wood that meet in the middle. I was considering using more than 1/2" ply for the 2 floor sections because I am worried about flex, or a soft feel to the floor near the benches where it will essentially just be floating because the ribs are not right against the benches.

Welcome to tinboats! I used all 1/2" plywood and there is no flex or soft feel. There is only a few inches from the last rib to the seats. The decks are pretty stiff and I have had no issue with them. Looking forward to seeing your project.

Just got back from spending a week in lower Michigan, fishing and visiting our parents. Rented a cottage on Shavehead lake. The fishing was good and we ate fish every night, and brough enough home to have a fish fry with our kids. We took my parents out one day and we all had a great time. The boat worked well, and towed 1600 miles with out a hitch. Ran the boat all week on 3 gallons of gas. The little Honda gets pretty good mileage.

Attachments

• Vacation2012 (47).jpg
    Vacation2012 (47).jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 1,209
  • Vacation2012 (31).jpg
    Vacation2012 (31).jpg
    48 KB · Views: 1,209
  • Vacation2012 (11).jpg
    Vacation2012 (11).jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 1,209
  • Vacation2012 (4).jpg
    Vacation2012 (4).jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 1,209
Nice build! I've been following you guys for awhile, and finally have my boat! Any chance you have a photo of the underside of your bow casting deck extension? That's exactly what I want to do, and I am trying to figure out how to brace it?

Attachments

• DSC00730.JPG
    DSC00730.JPG
    372.2 KB · Views: 1,195
Scott,

Looking forward to seeing your project. As you can see in the top picture the original front deck on my boat comes out to the first splice shown on the underside of the deck extension, so I am only spaning an additional 18". It is all 1/2 plywood screwed and glued together. It is very stiff and my 240 lb. son has stood on it several times.

Attachments

• 6 foredeck a.jpg
    6 foredeck a.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 1,179
  • 022711 006.jpg
    022711 006.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 1,179
gillhunter said:
The boat worked well, and towed 1600 miles with out a hitch.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :LOL2: :LOL2:

Glad you had a great time in MI. The 'gills look tasty!

Great, thanks! I just want add about 16" for storage and a seat at the front of the boat. You've shown me I don't have to get too elaborate underneath for what I want... even though I'm almost heavy enough to be your son!

Ictalurus said:
gillhunter said:
The boat worked well, and towed 1600 miles with out a hitch.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :LOL2: :LOL2:

Glad you had a great time in MI. The 'gills look tasty!

We did have a great time :D I hope your fishing is going well this year!

gillhunter said:
We did have a great time I hope your fishing is going well this year!

Fishing has been great this year! Started out hitting the crappie, one of my better years. Lately I've been onto some decent catfish and suprisingly bass, caught my PB channel cat on 5/20. Headed to KY Lake this weekend for a work tournament, lots of talk going on at the office. I've also taken the kids out several times this year, everyone loves to swim off the boat :D

Ictalurus said:
gillhunter said:
We did have a great time I hope your fishing is going well this year!

Fishing has been great this year! Started out hitting the crappie, one of my better years. Lately I've been onto some decent catfish and suprisingly bass, caught my PB channel cat on 5/20. Headed to KY Lake this weekend for a work tournament, lots of talk going on at the office. I've also taken the kids out several times this year, everyone loves to swim off the boat :D

Work tournament! =D> That sounds great. No body where I work fishes. Maybe I need to change jobs :LOL2: .

Took my 2 year old grandson, Ethan, for his first boat ride at Ft Yargo today. He did ok. :LOL2: He will be fishing next summer.

Attachments

• 070712 044.jpg
    070712 044.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 1,260
  • 070712 019.jpg
    070712 019.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 1,260
  • 070712 021.jpg
    070712 021.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 1,260
Gillhunter,

I have to say that your boat is one of the most simplistic, well thought out representations of what a jon boat should be. You have incorporated only what is important to you and your wife, based on the type of fishing you enjoy. Great job.

I just have one little piece of advice for anyone who needs to cut/shape cutting board material quickly. You can use a standard circular saw that is set up to rip. Simply turn your saw blade around where the teeth are facing back wards. Then cut normally, or a little slower than you normally would. The inverted teeth will actually melt the material as they cut. Of course, if you have a fine tooth cross-cut blade, then just use that. Reciprocating saw works well too. I learned this technique in the Marines, while making explosive charges/breaches.

Latest posts