Another trolling motor question. Electric only

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kygrizzly

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to the forum amd love it. I was wondering on what size trooling motor would be best for my electric only 16 ft lowe jon boat. I was looking at a 50#thrust but how would it do on rivers if you had to go upstream. Any advise is appreciated, Thanks.

Get the most thrust you can afford. I have a 71# on my 15' Xpress and I can haul butt with that thing... I can also stay out all day with heavy winds since it is a 24v.

I have a 50 thrust 12v on a 14 ft it does really good even with a current. I would personally go bigger if I could.

like the others have said bigger is better.. you can always turn the motor down to a lower speed with the bigger motor but if full speed isn't enough with the smaller motor your screwed...

there is a 101 on the gon for 350.00 pretty good deal if it is in nice shape, they start around 700.00... My 80 maxxum will hang with 101's all day.. I wouldnt trade it for the world right now..