Anyone with crazy seat ideas?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carrouth51

Reaction score
I just finished the hull on my my 1974 Rhyancraft 1652 and am going to flip her over this weekend and start planning out the front casting deck. only hold up is my plans for the seat. I would love to do something different than the traditional pedestal seats and was thinking about using some type of cabinet as a base so I could have storage right under my seat. I do alot of striper fishing in the crowded Roanoke River and I hate to have lures and baits spread out all over the deck and with all the wake, I have lost many things over the edge of my old boat (including myself on one occasion lol). I would love to be able to reach under the seat and slide out a drawer with the weight or lure I need and never have to leave the seat.

https://www.arrigonidesign.com/cabinetry.htm

I found this company online and I love their Swing Back seat locker (about halfway down the page) but I am not a big fan of the price. Was thinking that I could use some redneck engineering to achieve the same thing for a fraction of the cost. I thought about framing up a cabinet and then mounting a seat to that but all that will do is add weight. I have looked for heavy duty plastic cabinets that I could use but havent had much luck. ANyone had a similar idea and have any advice? Thanks guys, and I am officially addicted to this site!!!

Andrew

Maybe just frame up a box out of aluminum, cover it with sheet aluminum on 3 sides, leaving the front open. Then put aluminum angle inside on 2 sides spaced for Plano (or whatever) boxes to slide into. Mount a pedestal base like this one or maybe even just a seat base that doesn't require a post that extends thru the deck (box top).

RivRunR said:
Maybe just frame up a box out of aluminum, cover it with sheet aluminum on 3 sides, leaving the front open. Then put aluminum angle inside on 2 sides spaced for Plano (or whatever) boxes to slide into.
This is also what I would consider. Something like the Panfish Trackers have in them.

I didn't like the price of swingback seats, nor could I find one that was a good width for my boat, so I built this:

100_0546.JPG

100_0547.JPG

100_0548.JPG

100_0549.JPG

The seat frame is made from 1 1/2 x 1/8" aluminum angle, while the seat back frame is made from 2" x 3/8" aluminum flat bar, with 3 cross members (top, bottom, center) made from 1" aluminum pipe.

The ratchet system was made from some 3/8" thick stainless plate, then using a milling machine to cut the slots.

It cost me 200 dollars at the upholstery shop to have the back covered. Already had the seat cushion from another boat. All in all, between materials and labor, it probably cost as much as buying a factory seat, but again, this one is set up perfectly for my boat.

You could probably build something like this, and then frame in underneath for some slide-out tackle drawers, etc.

overboard said:
RivRunR said:
Maybe just frame up a box out of aluminum, cover it with sheet aluminum on 3 sides, leaving the front open. Then put aluminum angle inside on 2 sides spaced for Plano (or whatever) boxes to slide into.
This is also what I would consider. Something like the Panfish Trackers have in them.

That was similar to what I was going to do but decided to just have the top flip up. Easier for bassboy1 to make. I just stand my plano boxes on edge in there. Works great for me.

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=28377

This is what I was originally going to do. Sounds similar to what you are wanting. No flip top lid with this installed on the side of the box.

https://www.boatdepot.com/p-5721/tempress-white-1115-cam-tackle-hatch?gclid=CKKQ5pz0krUCFQyDnQodgkEASw