Banging those Drums 6/7/08 - 6/8/08

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain Ahab

Reaction score
Fished on the Angler out of Lewes DE for some night drum action. After some initial confusion, we thought that the boat would leave at 6 pm and it was set to leave at 4 pm (The boat is almost 3 hrs away!!) we made a made dash to the ocean. I made a few calls to Capt. Ted and (little) Chris Dockrat and they agreed to wait for us. We made it to the boat by 4:15 - grabbed some rigs and headed out into the sunset (We headed out - we went north from Lewes. . . )

We started out just sitting aroudn BSing with the mates - there were only 5 people on the boat, myself, my buddy Rick, Ethan and two older gentlemen from Baltimore. Things were slow at first with the slack tide, but what a great night on the water:

Drumms_001.jpg

It was not soon after dusk that Ethan drew first (drum) blood:
Man did he whoop up that fish!
Drumms_003.jpg

Drumms_004.jpg

And it ended: fish 0 Ethan 1

Drumms_005.jpg

Abo0ut 45 minut4es latter I see this go across the sky:
www.brickshelf.com_gallery_Repoort_Mosaics_BatSignal_batsignal3.jpg

A guess batman saw it to becuase I managed to hook his bat butt a short time later:

Drumms_007.jpg

Drumms_008.jpg

Well, the whole while my buddy Rick is off towards the bow of the boat keeping quiet and probably trying to ignore Ethan's many fart jokes and stories. Suddenly we hear him saw, "I am hooked up" and his drag starts screaming!!!

After a good 10-15 minute fight Chris (the Famous Dockrat) nets this behemoth Black Drum - at least 60 lbs of nastily clam eating beastie:

Drumms_011.jpg

Drumms_012.jpg

Here - just for Ethan, he got his picture taken with every fish - to impress his girlfriend
Drumms_010.jpg

Drumms_013.jpg

Great report! I once caught a 5 pound Black Drum on a live shrimp...any of those in your report could have eaten it. Do you eat the drum and stingray lookin thing?

Thanks Jake. It's not easy to do. Basically when no one is looking you walk over and pick up every fish in the box and act casual. Next thing you know it looks like you caught them all!!! You will learn.

FishinsMyLife317 said:
Great report! I once caught a 5 pound Black Drum on a live shrimp...any of those in your report could have eaten it. Do you eat the drum and stingray lookin thing?
Had grilled drum (BBQ style) and grilled ray wing for dinner - YUMMY!

The Ray is a dense meat - sorta like veal, no fishy flavor and no bones

Drum is tender and flaky

tomorrow - Drum Parmesan :mrgreen:

Just like Red Drum (red fish) Black Drum is good a number of ways - handles spices really well

Captain Ahab said:
FishinsMyLife317 said:
Had grilled drum (BBQ style) and grilled ray wing for dinner - YUMMY!

The Ray is a dense meat - sorta like veal, no fishy flavor and no bones

Drum is tender and flaky

tomorrow - Drum Parmesan :mrgreen:

Just like Red Drum (red fish) Black Drum is good a number of ways - handles spices really well
Sweet. The guide I went redfishing with told me about when he cut the line when one of his clients got a big stingray up to the boat. The client, who was from somewhere up north, freaked out and asked why they couldn't have kept it and eaten it. I didn't know people ate rays other than in China or somewhere where they also eat dogs. :wink: