Battery for an 18hp electric start mercury

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

49 Willys

Reaction score
Hey fellas
got the 18hp elect start mercury.
Now I came across FREE a new 12v 35amp will this reliably start the merc and the merc charges the battery.
Reason I ask is that the battery is about 2/3 the size of a standard car battery.
What do you guys think?
Thanx

Compare what you have to a U1 lawnmower battery at WM, the U1's will crank an 25 if in good shape.

I have a 20hp merc electric start and have a yellow top marine battery. Very powerfull. Was lucky to get it for 100 bucks.

Sent from Mossy Oak Swamp Bottom

49 Willys said:
Hey fellas
got the 18hp elect start mercury.
Now I came across FREE a new 12v 35amp will this reliably start the merc and the merc charges the battery.
Reason I ask is that the battery is about 2/3 the size of a standard car battery.
What do you guys think?
Thanx

I think it will work just fine.
Tim

I used a motorcycle battery on my 9.9 and it was a small motorcycle battery. I was just trying to save weight and I had several motorcycle batteries from motorcycle projects (my other vice)

I used a battery from a lawn mower to start my 25hp Evinrude for years without any problems. That size battery starts a mower with 25hp, so why wouldn't it work on an outboard?

Latest posts