Bimini question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love the bimini on my jon, like others have said, it is a life saver in the south. I just ordered the small one that only covered the rear portion of the boat, not in the way up front and all of my gear is out of the sun.

crkdltr said:
Me and the little lady just went out fishing this past Sunday and I put up my bimini top for the first time since i mounted it. That thing was a life saver! For where I mounted it, it worked fine for the front deck. The rear deck would have had a problem making over head casts and fishing anywhere near the bow. By the time it was hot enough for the cover to go up, my wife was content sitting under the cover and started reading her nook. Depending on the angle of the sun, even though the bow seat is not under the cover, it gave me shade. A must for summer time in the south!

480d8d04.jpg

Did you buy it that tall or did you have the frame extended?

Went out today to Bonelli Park in San Dimas. It was hot! We put up the bimini top and even clipped on a beach towel to one side of it to help block the sun. We're going to fashion some side curtains using old sheets attached with clips for the next outing.

nomowork said:
Went out today to Bonelli Park in San Dimas. It was hot! We put up the bimini top and even clipped on a beach towel to one side of it to help block the sun. We're going to fashion some side curtains using old sheets attached with clips for the next outing.

Do you fish around the straps, or drop a line between the straps or frame?
I would imagine that you could just drop the line between the frame and strap if need be.

sirbeigealot said:
nomowork said:

Do you fish around the straps, or drop a line between the straps or frame?
I would imagine that you could just drop the line between the frame and strap if need be.

Sorry, I meant to take pictures today, but in all the confusion of the first dunking of this boat, I forgot the camera in the truck. The bimini is placed where my GF sits on the front seat and the leading edge of the bimini just covers her seat so she can cast forward of just drop the line straight down. I sit in the back with the middle seat open for either of us to use. From the back I can cast over head but have less shade. We use this same bimini top in the same way on our other fiberglass boat open bow boat.

sirbeigealot said:
bcbouy said:
i screwed a golf umbrella holder (for a pull cart) to the back of my seats and they work great,plus they disassemble for stowage,and cost me about forty bucks.

I was thinking of getting a large patio umbrella and screw it into the center bench...but someone saw that being done and couldn't stop laughing!
that was me :LOL2: don't do it,it looks ridiculous

sirbeigealot said:
crkdltr said:
Me and the little lady just went out fishing this past Sunday and I put up my bimini top for the first time since i mounted it. That thing was a life saver! For where I mounted it, it worked fine for the front deck. The rear deck would have had a problem making over head casts and fishing anywhere near the bow. By the time it was hot enough for the cover to go up, my wife was content sitting under the cover and started reading her nook. Depending on the angle of the sun, even though the bow seat is not under the cover, it gave me shade. A must for summer time in the south!

480d8d04.jpg

I bought it that way. I saw an add on craigslist and went to measure the poles. It was within +/- 3" of the beam of my gunwales so all I had to do was source a pair of universal joint type hinges and away I went. I would have actually liked it to have been shorter, but when we put it to the test last weekend I was actually glad to have it as tall as it was.

crkdltr said:
sirbeigealot said:
crkdltr said:

480d8d04.jpg

I bought it that way. I saw an add on craigslist and went to measure the poles. It was within +/- 3" of the beam of my gunwales so all I had to do was source a pair of universal joint type hinges and away I went. I would have actually liked it to have been shorter, but when we put it to the test last weekend I was actually glad to have it as tall as it was.

It looks nice. I actually like my height for "cruising", but not for fishing.

nomowork said:
Now you can be a cool guy!

My GF brings her crossword puzzle book and her knitting bag on our boats . :shock:

We finally got the boat out to Newport harbor today.
It really was nice to have a bimini top at first...
but after awhile I was getting annoyed.
I started taking it down for awhile, but in the down position it rested on the front of the motor, making it hard to steer.
I them tipped it forward, and I couldn't see to drive.
Then I would put it back up for awhile, and there were times when I was glad I had it.

I think I'm gonna see if I can at least make it taller and see what happens.
Another thing...
I had bought swivel chairs to place in the boat, but when my son sat on the seat on the rear bench, his head hit the bimini canvas. So I took the chairs back.
We were out there all day, and my wife and I both agree that we need to get at least two chairs...so either the bimini gets taller to accomodate the seats, or its gotta go.

bcbouy said:
sirbeigealot said:
bcbouy said:
i screwed a golf umbrella holder (for a pull cart) to the back of my seats and they work great,plus they disassemble for stowage,and cost me about forty bucks.

I was thinking of getting a large patio umbrella and screw it into the center bench...but someone saw that being done and couldn't stop laughing!
that was me :LOL2: don't do it,it looks ridiculous

I have seen that here too. They installed umbrella on center seat.
I got good laugh to. But they got last laugh. They were in the shade & I was was sweating my rear off.

i'm wondering if you can lose the nylon straps and use an aluminum vertical brace a little closer to where it mounts on the boat. it would make trolling/casting easier and give about 3 ft. front /back.

bcbouy said:
i'm wondering if you can lose the nylon straps and use an aluminum vertical brace a little closer to where it mounts on the boat. it would make trolling/casting easier and give about 3 ft. front /back.

That's an excellent idea...I'll look into it, thanks.

I dunno, looks okay to me. Sure could have used it yesturday.

new_shade2.jpg

Brine said:
I dunno, looks okay to me. Sure could have used it yesturday.

new_shade2.jpg

I wonder why no one has developed a bimini/umbrella specifically for fishing boats. Seems like it would be a wide open market.

sirbeigealot said:
I just finished installing rod holders on my 14 ft aluminum Valco.
I think I'm finally ready to take it out for the first time.
However, I installed a bimini top, and the more I look at it and think about it, the more I'm wondering how we are going to fish around the frame and straps.
Anyone ever fish with a bimini?

I may soon have a nice one for sale...

I picked up a used bimini on CL for 100. bucks. My family fishes with it up and it works great. I centered mine so the front and rear decks are clear.Nick at the river.jpg

I'm getting my bimini extended...
the current height is about 4.5 feet from the boat floor, they are gonna install a new frame that will be 6'5" from the floor.
The cost is 185.00, will be ready next Thursday.

The guy asked me how much I paid for the top, and when I told him 160.00 he said that I stole it, that new ones sell for 600.00.
So I feel okay if I am into it for 345.00.