Boat Cover Question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hct4all

Reaction score
Good Morning.

I just purchased a nice custom travel cover for my boat. I have an ok generic cover as well. I am thinking about double covering the boat while it sits overwinter. I figure it will add life to to the travel cover. Is this an ok idea? Any cons I might not be aware of?

Located in SW Pa so a mix of weather.

Thank you,

Rick

I'm thinking that a boat covered that way may trap moisture under the tarp and allow corrosion to form.
For around $170 You can get a canvas garage that is 19 ft. wide, 20 ft. long and 8 ft. high. It will keep the rain, snow, and sun off the boat and allow it to "breathe. Available at Harbor Freight. T has enclosed front and back too.

Any cons I might not be aware of?

The concern would be the 2 materials lying against each other for a long period of time, albeit generally cold weather. It would likely be a recipe for mold/mildew. Not sure what your exact set-up is, but if you are bent towards doing this, I would put stickers/sleepers/spacers between the 2 materials so they themselves can breathe.

pvdiag said:
"The concern would be the 2 materials lying against each other for a long period of time, albeit generally cold weather. It would likely be a recipe for mold/mildew. Not sure what your exact set-up is, but if you are bent towards doing this, I would put stickers/sleepers/spacers between the 2 materials so they themselves can breathe"

I'm thinking the same thing. Moisture between the two layers could be an issue.

I'm in the southern tier of NY. Fitted boat covers don't hold up well to snow load. They form pockets that then turn to ice. The snow/ice will tear the covers. It only takes one storm. That is from someone that regularly brushed the snow off. As ugly as they are, the heavy duty silver tarps do better in the snow, for me. Usually last about three seasons.

Attachments

• IMG_6907.jpg
    IMG_6907.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 0