Boat loading question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At most of the ramps that I use, I back the trailer in until the top of the license plate is just barely underwater,(this keeps the lights and hubs above water), hold painter (15'), release winch straps and boat slides into water, guide boat to dock, secure, park truck and trailer. To load, trailer backed in to same depth, pull boat onto bunks with painter, hook up winch strap and crank in the last 3' to the stop. This is with a 1652 riveted Lowes with a 30hp 4stroke Merc. The secret is a light dusting of silicone spray on the bunk carpet. I am not sure this would work well on an extremely steep, or extremely shallow ramp, but it works great on the average St. Johns River ramps. You will be able to work out a system that works best for you, just use common sense.

Now go fishing!

I keep a rope tied off to to a carbine attached to my boat. I back off enough to float it, then pull it to the bank. Park my truck. Loading it ,I just barely get my bunks wet. Maybe 12 inches or so and just drive it on. No guide rails required. And I load in some serious current at times. I guess different boats can require different strategies.

One factor that hasn't been mentioned is the height of the trailer. Some are two or three inches higher than others when measured at the bunks.

I've had axles pulled out and put in top of the springs; turned bunks flat from their upright mounting, and more things.

The lower the boat, the easier it is to get into the water. The longer the tongue, the easier it is to get her into the water. The steeper the ramp, the easier it is to launch, but harder to recover, sometimes.

richg99

Leave about 1' of your bunks sticking up from water level paddle up as far as possible climb up winch to truck and winch it down!!

in the colder weather i just use a pair of rubber boots. i have had them for years, 20$ walmart. i have done all of the above but the boots come off and on easy enough. in warmer weather i wear sandals or water shoes. ***** at my fishing partner cause he always has socks and sneakers and will hesitate to get wet in an emergency.dont overthink, just get some boots.

To launch or load, I back my trailer in until the license plate just submerges. This leaves lights and axle hubs above water. The bunks get sprayed with silicon spray lube once a season, and the boat (Lowe 1652 LT with a 30horse four stroke Merc), slides on and off like it was on wheels.

John

I added a 48" swing tongue to the trailer on my alumacraft mv1648. Removed the coupler and bolted on the hinge and added the 48" square tube. Allowed my wheels to stay dry and still get boat in the water. Was going to add a 12" wide tread plate on top to walk on but just walked the tongue to the truck. Worked out great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use rubber boots when cold. Alot easier and safer. I always get in the water when loading and unloading. No big deal!

I never liked getting the rear wheels in the water. Got stuck on an algae covered ramp once, made me nervous I was going to keep sliding in the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk