Boat Weight limits....

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreatWhite

Reaction score
Hey Gang,

New to the forum....live near a lake in N. Arizona, and thinking this year buying a 'tin boat'.....12-14' range...I hope....

I am 6'5" and 310lbs.....how sill an idea is it to have a 12' boat......I just picture the transom 2" from the waterline, and the front 2/3rds of the boat in the air!

Thoughts? Experiences?

I must say, I am enjoying reading the posts and sharing!

Garrett

welcome. my friends dad is about ur weight and he had an 8 foot jon boat and he had about 4 inches from the top of the transom 2 the water. i would personally get the biggest i could find because after a few hours, when ur legs are all cramped and u want to stretch your legs, you cant :shock: . trust me i know and im only 5 foot 5!

My ol man is 6'5" 385 and I am 6'1" and 275, We have fished out of my tin together which is a 1436. Its not to bad unless the water is real choppy. We fish mainly on the ohio, rough, and green river unless its real windy. The water isn't very close to coming in unless hes running the outboard and shuts her down quick, That will give ya a drink every time. Other wise by my self with motor 6 gallons of fuel and type 27 battery all in the back the water line is about 9inchs from the bottom and 6 in the front which has a slightly rised deck trolling motor and graph and is where I toss all my fishing gear at. The sides are 18" so thats only half way or less for all that crap but thats a 14' and not a 12' though. Another note I had a hydrofoil on the motor at first but when I would turn it hard under full power water would come over the rub rail but that only happened a few times and was with 6" plus chop.

I'm about 300# and 6:1. Go deep and wide with a long transom. I have 16' semi v tiller boat. I was out in choppy conditions today, no problems.

I have an Alumacraft 1470. I'm 6'4'' 275lb. I can put all the people an junk I need in it. Peace of mind is worth the price of admission. You may want to go V-hull for stability and safety. Take your time and watch Craig's List for the right boat.