Bob's Blue Fin Restoration

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shane3911

Reaction score
I've been hanging around reading and learning as I start the restoration of my father-in-law's blue fin (god rest his sole). My first question is during demo (which I did not take photo's - figured that was boring), I found the the rear aluminum panel (exterior skin) not only hand a number of holes but was deteriorated clear thru the aluminum. I'm looking for suggestions, do I cut out and completely weld in a new?, overlay and spot weld one on?...?

Here are the first three pics as I get started. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• IMG_0220.JPG
    IMG_0220.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 1,267
  • IMG_0221.JPG
    IMG_0221.JPG
    119.7 KB · Views: 1,267
  • IMG_0222.JPG
    IMG_0222.JPG
    105.7 KB · Views: 1,267
:WELCOME: Aboard!

I hope you find this site as interesting and helpful as I. Everyone on here is friendly and eager to share their knowledge. :)

It's always nice to see a boat that belonged to family being restored. I'm certain your father-in-law would appreciate it.

I'm not sure what you are asking. I can see the transom still in place. Did she have an over lay skin that laid over the wood? You mentioned holes. From bolts? Are there any marks on the transom where an over lay might have been? If the aluminum was etched, it could be someone, at some point, replaced the wood with treated lumber. It will "eat" away at aluminum. It might behoove you to post a few pics of that piece so others know what you are asking as well.

Sorry I'm not much help. These guys are here are very knowledgeable. Perhaps someone with way more knowledge will be along to help and give you some good sound advice on how to and what to do.

Thanks again for sharing, and good luck with your restore. I'll be watching! 8)

M
Tyler, Texas

TexasLoneStar56 - thanks for the reply.

I have attached some pictures of what it look like after I removed the aluminum cap of the transom. The transom was a build up of outside (boat exterior) .080 aluminum with 2 layers of 3/4" plywood in between the interior sheet of .080 aluminum. The "etching" of "eating" was on the inside of the exterior sheet or between the wood and the exterior .080 aluminum skin. When I get home this evening I shoot some photos of the "eating" and post them. again thanks for the help.

Attachments

• Transom Rotten 4.JPG
    Transom Rotten 4.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 1,149
  • Transom Rotten 3.JPG
    Transom Rotten 3.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 1,149
  • Transom Rotten 2.JPG
    Transom Rotten 2.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 1,149
  • Transom Rotten 1.JPG
    Transom Rotten 1.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 1,149
Oh Man! That's what I've just gone through with our old LS. Almost identical transom (wood). However, ours does not have the inside aluminum piece. I see what you mean about the etching. Has that boat been in salt water? Could the etching possibly be from that? I am not knowledgeable about salt water and the ramifications there of. Perhaps someone else on here is and can advise you better.

If I were you, I'd take that inside piece to a fabrication shop and have a new one made. I'd replace the wood with marine grade or X grade plywood and seal real good. That's what I had to do to replace the wood in ours. Just don't use treated wood.

I used X grade; glued with Gorilla glue; stained and spar urethaned. It's what guys on here told me to do and it turned out fantastic. There are some really intelligent guys on here and have the know how. They sure have helped me out! :D

I'll check back to see more pics. Perhaps some of the fellas will be along to help you out more. Keep up the good work! =D>

M
Tyler, Texas

Well it is slow going but I've managed to get a solid deck surface to work from. I've installed cross members of 1"x 1" angle 6063 (T6) with a sheet of .080 5024 Aluminum on top. Each side under the sheet has be filler with pour-able form from US composite. As you can see I also received my live-well tub from Great Lakes Skipper and started on building my Aluminum transom. As far as the transom I must give credit to the guys in FishOn Fabrications as I saw this on there website. Anyhow moving forward!

Attachments

• 08JUL15_8.jpg
    08JUL15_8.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 1,093
  • 08JUL15_7.jpg
    08JUL15_7.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 1,093
  • 08JUL15_6.jpg
    08JUL15_6.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 1,093
  • 08JUL15_5.jpg
    08JUL15_5.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 1,093
  • 08JUL15_4.jpg
    08JUL15_4.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 1,093
  • 08JUL15_3.jpg
    08JUL15_3.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 1,093
  • 08JUL15_2.jpg
    08JUL15_2.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 1,093
  • 08JUL15_1.jpg
    08JUL15_1.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 1,093
Great looking rebuild! Great looking rig to begin with!

Man, that wide open space down the center under your deck is just screaming to be made into rod storage.

Latest posts