Bow mount trolling motor fish finder recommendations please

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hookedontronics

Reaction score
Looking to add a fish finder to my bow right onto the trolling motor. I currently have an x-4 pro mounted to my console that I pretty much only use for depth. I'm looking for something a little better for the front since that is where I spend all of my time. GPS would be awesome but I don't want to spend a fortune. looking for a nice large screen.

Looking to keep it to $350, and I don't mind if it's a used unit either

suggestions/pics welcome. thank you in advance

What is your definition of a large screen? I'm guessing you will have the ff on the deck, and you stand up fishing? I would look at screens from around 7 if this is the case. But you might have an eagles vision or a different set up allowing you to see details on a smaller screen. At 350 anything bigger then 5 would usually mean buying a used unit.

Do you want to see fish on the ff, or is it also mostly to se depth/ structure? What sort of depths are we talking about?

I prefer Lowrance FF but have a HB on the TM as transducer wire fits and makes for a neater/safer install imo. I have a Low Elite 4 2d/gps that is around $300, sometimes cheaper when on sale on my yak, and works fine but if you were any futher away than arm's lenght, will be difficult to see. You can always make a small stand to raise it up off the floor some but the screen will still be small.

You could look for sales on a new or used HB 587/597. They have decent sized screens and you can find a new one in the $400 range sometimes. I'm sure you could find a used one at an even better price.

i'm basically looking for something that will show me the bottom in good detail while I troll along, 5" screen is probably fine. I'm 26 and have good eyes, but I do stand up fishing. GPS really is not necessary, but something that will show me the bottom in great detail is really hwat I want to get up front.

I have weak spot for Simrad and Lowrance. :)

Lowrance Elite-5x or Elite-5x DSI should do great. Both have the same 5 inch screen with 480x480 resolution and the same pricetag, but the DSI one has downscan (high kHz that gives great detail when looking for structure) while the normal 5x has a 2d sonar. I have tried the standard 5x myself, and it tracks bottom down to 120-140 meters (in saltwater). It will show fish down to around 30 meters. For the DSI you will need an adapter (20 $) to fit the transeducer to your trolling motor.

I recommend that you go to a store with both the Elite-5 and Humminbird 5xx-series on display so you can fetle with both and find out wich one(s) you preferr. Pick one you like, screensize and resolution would be something to look for, since all that detail is lost in a small screen or a screen with low res.

Latest posts