braid on a baitcaster?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It'll depend on your baitcaster. Most 30lb braid should have about an 8lb(mono) diameter, so 40lb will probably be about 10lb diameter. Whatever line you get should say, then just judge that by how much line the spool on your specific baitcaster will hold. But I would suggest using at least a little backing because i've heard braid has a tendancy to slip on the spool if it hasn't got any mono backing.

And again, Welcome aboard! :beer:

I use braid on all my rods. I put no more than 75 yds of braid on. I like to keep my spool as full as possible for maximum casting distance, and I also like fresh line. Since braid is expensive I only put about two long casts worth at a time, the rest of the line is a mono backer. This way I can can have fresh line and a full spool at all times, without going through a ton of line. I do this only on my bass rods, where I know I won't be having any super long runs.

I would recomend a backer unless your spool has holes in it so that you can tie your line directly to the spool rather than just around it. Otherwise it can just spin on your spool.

you'll have enough line on a spool to fill your reel. I don't use any backing - as the line keeps wearing down, I just keep cutting the line back. I change the spool out when 1) I get a terrible birds nest (like I did this weekend) 2) I'm down to where I cast, I don't have atleast 10 yards of line left on the reel.

I don't do the backing because I still can't figure out how to tie those stinking knots right. I think I tied it right this weekend when I put fluoro on the braid, but it kept messing up when that knot hit the last eyelet on the cast.

My spool does have holes in it. My main goal for doing this is pitching timber. I've been pulling bass out of floating logs/ debris but I would like a little more protection.

Is there a better alternative for this situation?

I always put a thin layer of mono on my spool. Holes or not. I like the bite mono provides and I stick with it.

Some use a layer of electrical tape and that works as well.

I put a thin layer of mono on and then fill the spool to the top. As I retie and the spool gets lower, I add more mono backing to bring my line up to the top of the spool again. Finally when I can cast out and get nearly to my backing, its time for new line.

Superline will last for years on a reel.

While some won't fill their spools because "braid is expensive" I don't buy into that theory. Any time you switch your line out, you throw some line away. I'd rather throw line away one time when I redo my spool, rather than several times because I only put on 50 or 75 yards. If I only put a little bit of line on, I'd be throwing away line all the time. If money is your driving factor, you're loosing out by putting bunchs of small sections of line on your reel.

Mono backed braid here. Use a Uni to Uni knot with more turns on the braid than the mono. I do 6 turns of braid and 4 of mono as I do when I tie on a flurocarbon leader, no problem casting it through the guides. I'm not sure how much I put on the spool, probably about 100 yards, most of my spools fairly large arbors so you can't back them too much. On my old green Curados I use quite a bit of mono backing though since the spools are so deep(for bass). I have a 200 series Curado that I'm going to almost fill with braid for some salmon/steelhead fishing soon, they're starting to move here!

Depends on what your fishing for.
I use the 50 yard with the mono backing and keep it pretty much full,for the casting distance.I've even rotated my line,after a long period of time.That braid has never parted on me(powerpro 30lbs.)

I had some braid on my BPS extreme reel and never had a problem without backing. I also used this as a heavy cover set-up like you will be. I personally wouldn't want to run a backing in this situation. The braid will help line breaks, but it won't help you getting snagged (other than the fact you can pull a lot harder or just reel the log in :twisted: ).

If you get snagged and have to cut the line, with a backing you could be down to the mono in only a handful of snags. Not that you will get snagged 5 or 6 times per outing, but it could (has) happened to people (me).

ugh... Can someone explain this backing thing to me? I was considering going with a braided line for my next setup but now I'm not so sure. Sounds all complicated and what not!

rob said:
ugh... Can someone explain this backing thing to me? I was considering going with a braided line for my next setup but now I'm not so sure. Sounds all complicated and what not!

Backing is using a mono line to "fill" the reel before putting the more expensive braided line on top. Just as Jake mentions above, it allows the reel to work properly (reels cast better and have a higher speed retrieve when the spool is full) without having to:

1. Fill the reel with expensive braid which you may have to cut off in case of a birds nest or snag; and,

2. Prevents the braided line from slipping and digging into itself.

I usually use any heavy mono that I have lying around or even some "used" mono from a trolling outfit

rob said:

You don't NEED to back with mono. A strip of electrical tape on the spool will work. I've heard of a few other solutions as well. The goal is to get something for the braided line to dig into other wise it can just spin on the spool when pressure is applied.

I dont think I would ever want to put electrical tape on a reel, as the adhesive from the tape could easily stay with the reel when the tape is removed. Or at least this is always a problem I have when removing electrical tape from anything. Personally Ive used braided line in the past and gave up on it, tried it again this year and its back in the trash. I still dont see whats so great about the stuff, imo im better off without it.

slim357 said:
I still dont see whats so great about the stuff, imo im better off without it.

The reason I like braid is it is ALOT more sensitive....especially when fishing alot of texas rigs(which is what i fish in the lake at least 75% of the time). And in the rivers, its alot easier to distinguish a bite rather than your bait just bouncing off the bottom. Plus no memory, and no line twist when fishing it on a spinning rig.

Bubba said:
Plus no memory, and no line twist when fishing it on a spinning rig.
Not that suffix junk, I fished it on both baitcasters and spinning, and it was god awful on my spinning rig, had numerous wind knots, and a lot of line twist. Ive heard the power pro stuff is better but i wont be dropping 20bucks to find out for myself.

slim357 said:
Bubba said:
Plus no memory, and no line twist when fishing it on a spinning rig.
Not that suffix junk, I fished it on both baitcasters and spinning, and it was god awful on my spinning rig, had numerous wind knots, and a lot of line twist. Ive heard the power pro stuff is better but i wont be dropping 20bucks to find out for myself.

Where is charging 20 bucks for Power Pro? :? Most everywhere i've seen sells it for 11.99-12.99 for a 150yd spool..... :|

Latest posts