Bunks

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is this what you did SnowmanJon??

BUNKS.jpg

That's how I was thinking of doing mine if/when I build my trailer. But never thaught of it being slick.. LOL
But if that's the case, I'll be doing 2x4 covered in carpet.

When I did my bunks I used a product called Bunk Glide Ons from Eastern Marine Trailer Parts Superstore (I have no affiliation with them but they sure do have some great products as well as outstanding customer service). https://shop.easternmarine.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.prodInfo&productID=6915&categoryID=221

If you look at what I did and check out the pictures you can see the bunks are aren't pressure treated (at least they don't look it to me) , but if you were concerned about using pressure treated you could use cedar instead.

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3991&hilit=glide

I only did the back half as I power load so the front half still has carpet to grip the hull and prevent it from sliding back.

well i just got in from taking my bunks off and replacing them with the treated 2x4's i just got from town with and now im not sure if i want to use them...some are sayin that the copper seaps into the carpet...should i use them...i dont want to chance it

Brine said:
Russ, what if you always had someone with you, and the idea was that whoever was loading the boat on the trailer would stay in the boat and hook up. Do you think these things would cause a problem? Most of the guys I see go full steam (with their trolling motors) and get within 2 feet of the bow stop before their boat stops on the carpeted bunks. This seems to hold them in place to allow them to walk to the front of the boat and reach down to grab the strap. They will then crank themselves up from the boat, or just leave the boat where it is and crank it the rest of the way up after they have pulled the boat from the water and are packing up.

To me, the ultimatebunks may be like being on rollers (like I have now) I would think that the boat would always keep trying to slide off. I'm not sure if "slick" is so much what I am after as I am trying to find a product that will never need to be replaced/carpeted.

On steep ramps (maybe 2 out of our tourney lakes), my partner keeps the trolling motor turned on in the back as he goes up to the front of the boat to keep from rolling off. Although it's not ideal, it keeps him in the boat and me in the truck without anyone having to get wet.

Whadaya think?

I don't know how I missed this.. .but have been out of town.

Anyways, I don't know how it would work with 2 people in it. You might be able to leave the rear trolling motor running while he runs up to the front to hook it up.

I tried putting mine on by myself running it up, and it worked fine, but I didn't have side walls to keep the boat from moving side to side - that's how I fell in trying to stop it from running away..

I think you'd be best suited for carpeted bunks - and I personally still wouldn't worry about the PT wood - I'm more than likely going to replace mine with Ultimate Bunkboards again just because I'm always by myself. I've also thought about getting a boat hook that attaches the winch hook to the bow (I still don't see how that works..), but I gotta figure something out. I'm going to fish it a few times first and try loading it by myself with the carpeted bunks to see if I can just run it on and hook up.

Bassboy1 uses his front trolling motor all the way up the trailer and then attaches it - he's got it down to a science, so I'm just going to have to practice.

Here's my 2 cents worth. Although I haven't seen the ultimate bunks themselves, I believe they are of a similar material as to what Popeye has on his rig. And, what Popeye has on his rig is of a similar, if not identical, material as white plastic cutting boards. See what I am getting at here?

On my last boat, I made my own bunk slicks out of cutting boards. Just painted the board black, and installed the slicks on top. They worked flawlessly, well except for the slippery part. For the way I launch and load, carpet is the only way to go. But, if you feel that the slicks (as Brine mentioned, they are very similar to rollers) are necessary, save yourself the cash, and get a few Walmart 3/8 cutting boards, rip them to width, and install them with countersunk stainless screws. Be sure to countersink them in real deep.

Now, seeing as slicks have similar affects as rollers, lets look at the advantages of roller trailers over bunk trailers. Roller trailers, for the most part, are designed for steeper ramps, in areas where power loading isn't legal/practical. As in, they are made for winching pretty much the whole way on, just as Russ does (however, seeing as his boat is a bit lighter than a 20 foot bowrider, he pulls his on most of the way, as opposed to winching it).

Where I fish, we have well maintained concrete ramps, and most of the time, I have my outboard. Thus, when fishing double, and launching, I will either unhook my winch at the top of the ramp, or when the trailer is about at the water depending on conditions, then whoever is fishing with me will back me in the rest of the way, and the momentum from backing up will continue my float past the trailer. Can't do that with slicks.

When I load, either by myself, or with someone, I back the trailer in to where when I idle onto the trailer, I stop about a foot or so from the post. Then, I give it a little gas, and the boat slides up to the stop, centering itself, and it stays. Then, I can move about the boat, to go up front and hook my winch strap up, without it sliding down, or if trying to get a lot of boats out after a tourney, my partner can start to pull out immediately after I get the boat on, even without the winch strap. With the slicks on my old boat, I would slide back down, so loading was always a two person job. One person to drive the boat on, and the other to hook up the winch strap.

Personally, I am going to keep sticking with carpet, or if I can find a material with the same characteristics, but better durability, that would be ideal.

Just an Idea but what about the product called "Tuf Board" it is available @ Home depot and I think Lowes. It is recycled PVC and is very stable does not absorb water and will not rot.

Might be worth a look.

post a link on the tuf board...i called both home depot and lowes where i live and they dont even know what it is?

This is it.

https://www.tufboard.net/

I have used this on my old house for trimming out columns and in my current house I build my mailbox post out of it.

It machines exactly like wood with standard tools. It should be in the exterior trim section of the big box stores

This is what it looks like completed

Attachments

• mailbox.jpg
    mailbox.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 1,014
According to the Tuf-board site it says... It is a perfect replacement for wood in most of non-stress-bearing applications. Not sure I would use that for trailer bunks myself.

I have seen PVC 2x4 material but it is pretty springy. Maybe if your bunks are on standing edge they might do okay. For the price of PVC and the other man-made boards you could just buy cedar and be done with it.

i would think 1/4" would be pretty stout we have some stuff at work that is aluminum wraped in pvc but i dont think it comes in the size i could use

i think im gonna buy some of the aluminum wraped in pvc and see how good it works...if it works good i may can get dealer cost for anyone intrested...ill have to see how it turns out

2007NNBS said:
do they make 2x4's in pvc i was thinkin about the pvc fence from lowes or home depot?

Sure just use Gorilla glue and put two pieces of 3/4 together :)

I would think that if the rail run under the bunks then there would not be much of a load.

Latest posts