Crankin Stick

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Troutman3000

Reaction score
What action and length should I get for light to medium cranks and spinnerbaits?

I was think 7' medium with extrafast action?

Opinions??

Troutman3000 said:
What action and length should I get for light to medium cranks and spinnerbaits?

Opinions??

For cranking you don't want extra-fast action. You will want a medium parabolic action.

You may want to take a look at the Skeet crankin rod. I bought one and thats what I throw the small and medium crankbaits on. As far as a spinner bait rod, I use a medium fast 7 foot BPS Tourney Special right now but hopefully I will be replacing it with a vertias here shortly. The tourney special is a good rod, but its too heavy IMO for tourney fishing.

I'm not real fond of the skeet reel for throwing smaller lures, it's great for my Norman Deep Little Ns though - and that's all I throw on it.

For small cranks - like Bomber 4a's and smaller, I actually like a shorter rod - something like a 6'10" or what I use is my Falcon Lowrider "Eakins Jig Special". It will cast those small lures a mile.

Falcon LowRider XG Cast 6'10" Med Hvy - https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Falcon_LowRider_XG_Casting_Rods/descpage-FLRC.html - I also throw jigs, worms, shakey heads and spinner baits on this. It says its a MH, but I think it's just a notch down from that... it's got a great back bone, but it's got good flex too

2. Shimano Compre 6'6" Medium/Moderate Fast - https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Shimano_Compre_Casting_Rods_IM8_Graphite/descpage-SCCR.html

Shimano Compre 6'6" Medium/Moderate Fast - https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Shimano_Compre_Casting_Rods_IM8_Graphite/descpage-SCCR.html

+1 Love mine, and my BP shop offers free replacement for life with receipt and paperwork on all Shimano rods. I'm heading there today to get another to use this weekend.

BaitCaster said:
Troutman3000 said:

Opinions??

For cranking you don't want extra-fast action. You will want a medium parabolic action.

Thats what I meant......I think I'll see what sizes the Crankin Stick comes in.....

I have the 7' BPS Crankin' Stick. I think I got it for $35 on sale. It works fine, but I wish it had a hook holder. I think the newer ones have them.

BaitCaster said:
Troutman3000 said:
BaitCaster said:
I have the 7' BPS Crankin' Stick. I think I got it for $35 on sale. It works fine, but I wish it had a hook holder. I think the newer ones have them.

What action?

Medium

Same here. I picked one up last season when it was on sale and paired it with my pro qualifer. It does the job fine.

BaitCaster said:

....I should add that I caught a 20+ pound chinook salmon on this rod this fall and it didn't break (to my surprise).

Went to BPS and got the Pro Qualifier with the 7' ml Crankin stick. The Crankins Stick ML felt like the KVD medium so I went ahead and got it.

The pair + 12lb Seagar (sp) cost me 160 otd. Thats not bad for a quality combo for this weekend warrior.

are you using floro with crankbaits???
i would suggest mono you dont want the hooks to pull out on a soft bite the mono will have a little stretch and wont pull out as easy

redbug said:
i would suggest mono you dont want the hooks to pull out on a soft bite the mono will have a little stretch and wont pull out as easy

I guess there are two sides to that arguement. With the crystal clear lakes that I fish in Georgia Flouro helps disguise the line and allows your bait to work a little deeper since it sinks and mono floats. The rod is supposed to aborsb the bite imo. I know that there are two schools of thought on this. If I notice that I am loosing fish I will swap to mono and see if the catch rate changes.

Troutman3000 said:
Went to BPS and got the Pro Qualifier with the 7' ml Crankin stick. The Crankins Stick ML felt like the KVD medium so I went ahead and got it.

The pair + 12lb Seagar (sp) cost me 160 otd. Thats not bad for a quality combo for this weekend warrior.

That's a good combo.

Troutman3000 said:
redbug said:

I guess there are two sides to that arguement. With the crystal clear lakes that I fish in Georgia Flouro helps disguise the line and allows your bait to work a little deeper since it sinks and mono floats. The rod is supposed to aborsb the bite imo. I know that there are two schools of thought on this. If I notice that I am loosing fish I will swap to mono and see if the catch rate changes.

If you're using a crankin rod, don't worry about it. I fish poppers with a crankin stick and braid, and I very very rarely lose a fish. I fish 15pound flouro on my regular crankin rod (a 7'4 KVD) and I have an excellent hook up ratio with that as well. I'm all about sensitivity, I let the rod do the rest of the work for me... that's what crankin sticks are designed for.

for cranking i use a 7' med heavy bps 30.00 rod, it is my favorite, i had a skeet cranking stick and absolutely hated it. oh i use 10lb mono on it as well..

I went back and got the medium actionfor throwing jerkbaits and larger stuff like that and I cant get any distance on my casts. I tried adjusting both sets of brakes and still I couldnt get it to cast more than about 25 yards. I can really sling my extreme reel with a mh bps tourney special rod. Do you think the action on the Crankin stick is still to light? The lures I am throwing fits the recomended weight as stated on the rod. What gives? I want to take the pro qualifier back if I cant improve my casting distances. The reel is really smooth but the casting is horrible.

I'd tend to think it's probably the fault of the reel - I just bought a new BPS Pro qualifier and had problems with it right out of the box. BPS was great about it and the replacement I got has been everything I expected to get in the first place. My experience with cranking rods has been that a M-ML action has given me all the casting distance I'd ever need, so I doubt much that your rod is playing a big part in it.

Latest posts