Decking Advice

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremyray25

Reaction score
Hello All. I recently acquired a 2011 Alumacraft 1442 flat-bottom jon. I would like to install a removable front deck from middle bench to bow, in which I do NOT have to drill and/or screw any fasteners to the boat. In this deck, I would like to make some storage underneath. I would also like to place a removable floor between the back and middle bench (once again, without drilling or using fasteners to the boat). Attached is the top view of my boat.

My main question is how would you make the supports without fastening to the boat? I would prefer using wood, but am up for other options.

Can someone with a similiar setup post pictures and provide some insight?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Attachments

• 6-3-2013 8-43-14 AM.jpg
    6-3-2013 8-43-14 AM.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 799
you could certainly build a drop in deck and frame for both parts of the boat but it will probably feel a little flimsy without being mechanically attached to the hull. there will be a lot of precision cutting.

it will also be rather heavy as you would need to transmit all your load through the removable frame, using gravity and friction, without borrowing any piece of the stringers, which is a common tactic.

right now im envisioning something like a two trusses cut in the profile of the hull, then attached to one another perpendicularly from the bench to the bow. same for the middle section. the trusses cut to match the profile of the hull will make the best use of friction and gravity so the deck will feel sturdy and shift very little.

does it need to be removed by one man in 5 minutes or could it be a little more permanent than that? thatll somewhat determine how much work and planning ahead you need to do.

There are pics of my framing in my build. I actually did add a couple of cross braces which are not in the pics. My deck is completely removable, as with my previous builds. I have never attached any of my decks to the boat, with the exception of the rear deck on this build, if you can even call it a deck. I have never had any problems with stability or being flimsy. Its also nice to be able to remove the deck to do any extra wiring, repairs, etc.. You can check it out here: https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22621

thanks for the replies.

Chrispy186 - Really like your setup. Are those 2x2's used on the frame? Without fastening the deck to the boat, does the weight of the structure keep it in place, specially when towing?

anyone else doing this? I have already recieved some great pictures from some members, just wanted to see a couple more before I take the plunge.

If you have a removable deck that is not attached to boat, please share pictures.

Thanks!

Latest posts