Does a small deep cycle, sealed battery exist?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richg99

Reaction score
My (new to me) tinny has a front vertical hatch that measures only 6 7/8th in height.

The standard deep cycle battery that came with the boat is about 6 5/8th in width. It fits into the opening, but only if you turn it nearly horizontal.

Turning it at that angle allows some battery acid to spill out, and, obviously, adding water or even checking the water height is nearly impossible.

I'd rather not cut anything, so my "simple solution" was to buy a sealed deep cycle battery and put it in the opening. The problem that I am experiencing is ...no small deep cycle batteries are sealed????

The sealed batteries that fit..... are all standard cranking batteries. Even a couple of AGM batteries (not deep cycle, though) are actually too wide to fit into my narrow opening.

Anyone else have this issue, and if so, have you found a way to deal with it, other than cutting a bigger opening in the boat? thanks richg99

I may have found one...but....ouch!!!! $220.00 !!!!

Optima Batteries 8052-161-FFP D31M BlueTop Starting and Deep Cycle Battery

Still wonder about a "Starting AND Deep Cycle" setup. Most things that are set to do two jobs don't do either one of them very well. Any thoughts?

Rich

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=361425#p361425 said:
richg99 » 34 minutes ago[/url]"]I may have found one...but....ouch!!!! $220.00 !!!!

Optima Batteries 8052-161-FFP D31M BlueTop Starting and Deep Cycle Battery

Still wonder about a "Starting AND Deep Cycle" setup. Most things that are set to do two jobs don't do either one of them very well. Any thoughts?

Rich
Here is one on sale Rich for $88, it is 6.7 inches high, AGM, deep cycle and can be mounted in any position.
Tim

https://www.batterystuff.com/batteries/mobility-scooter-wheelchair/UB12500-45977.html

richg99,

HAWKER AVIATION out of the UK makes any number of sizes of sealed/deep-cycle batteries.
(While they are NOT cheap, they last a really long time, if kept "trickled charged".)

I use them to power Ham Radios as they are "aircraft safe"/leak-proof & CAN be taken aboard US airliners, as "carry-on" OR "checked" baggage.
(I'm a semi-retired member of a STORMWATCH "jump team", that is involved in emergency commo during natural/manmade disasters.)

HAWKER batteries are available from aircraft supply companies.

yours, satx

There are some REALLY lightweight batteries available. Look into the auto racing industry. There is at least one battery, designed for drag racing without an alternator, that weighs around 4 lbs, IIRC. But figure $1000 for one.

Optima USED to be an awesome battery. Operations have moved to Mexico, and ever since then they haven't been quite as stellar.

Might be worth looking at Deka batteries. I haven't looked at their site lately, just google it. East Penn Deka batteries, their site had all kinds of batteries listed on it at one point. And last I checked, they had a phone number to call if you had questions.

Got an Optima red top in my tin boat. Bought it 1/18/2001. Still kicking. If you take care of it, they'll last a LONG time! Charger is on mine when it's not being used. Was in the race car, then in the bass boat, then in the old Grumman, now in my War Eagle; and I believe I had it in the Mustang for a little while too.

Electro Battery in Tampa, FL (727-323-48480 has the following Universal Batteries:

55 Amp 39 lbs. 9” long x 5 ½” wide x 9 1/8” high: $125 new; $45 reconditioned

35 Amp 23 lbs. 7 ¾” long x 5” wide X 7 1/8 high: $64.50 new; $35 reconditioned.

These are deep cycle batteries sometimes used for wheel chairs. They say they are completely sealed & won’t leak no matter how you position them.

I guess they are probably available from any Universal Battery dealer.

all the batteries that everyone has listed are small and will not work for the application the rich is planning
the one listed have 50amp hrs that will last??? what about an hour on high?? you will want to go with an agm battery if you want to mount it any way other than flat they don't leak they don't need topped off and they last for years
I have 3 agm batteries in my boat that are 6 years old and still running strong. they are all dual purpose batteries and handle my deep cycle needs without any issues

The new Optimas made in mexico are overpriced and are not worth a crap. If you have a Sam's Club go there and look at the Dura Cell AGM deep cycle battery. These are made by Deka/East Penn Manufacturing and are well worth the money. The group 29 size may work for what you're wanting to do. As redbug stated for the trolling motor you are going to need a deep cycle battery if you are going to run for any time at all.

Latest posts