Down Imaging - Any Thoughts?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ictalurus

Reaction score
I've been thinking about upgrading my electronics this year and have been checking out the down imaging (DI/DSI) units. They appear to be within my price range ($300) unlike the SS. Cabelas has some new units by lowrance (Elite and Mark units), but I've also been checking out the Humminbird 570di, mainly because it offers traditional sonar as well as the DI. My question to the fellow tinboaters, is this DI too good to be true? Many reviews say that the image is not as good as advertised, others say the love the unit. Please let me know what you guys think.

I've got the lowrance mark DI. Works great for seeing what's on the bottom and how it lays. Fish show as small dots, I use the Di at the console and trad. Sonar at the TM

The resolution is not as good as it looks on tv. Still for the price I'm happy with mine

Loggerhead Mike

Thanks for the input. Have you had any issues getting a reading in shallow water (<10') on you Lowarance Mark DI?

Only untill I figured out how to turn the shallow alarm off :LOL2:

I had trouble with the screen not reading at high speed when I'd go from say 40 to 150ft deep. Switched it back to default settings and haven't had a problem since. I'm sure it was something I did to the settings, not the unit itself.

I have the lowrance hds7 and use the down scan more than i do the reg sonar i feel i get a much better view of what is on the bottom

I don't have DI, but have read numerous comments from people who have both SI and DI, they end up using their DI more than SI especially if they are fishing familar territory/structure and use the SI when on the hunt because the fish have moved or in new territory. They do like the better image/picture of whats down there over 2d, but I guess its all a personal preference to some extent.

I don't have down scan/side scan yet, but I read the opposite. That side scan is much more useful.

For instance sidescan shows you things you can actually cast to. Down scan shows you only something you can vertically jig to. And in that case, the regular sonar works better.

Here is a discussion on another forum about it. It's a local forum so it shouldn't steel any activity from tinboats. https://www.greatlakesbass.com/forum/index.php?topic=11203.0

Some of these guys are great fisherman, and lots if not most are use to offshore fishing-fishing that requires good sonar.

One other thing....I REALLY like the new Lowrance DI units for a few reasons. First that is a big deal offering that technology in a lower priced unit. AND for the first time they have a compact inexpensive mapping unit that accepts mapping cards

HOWEVER you can't switch from regular sonar to DI. That give Hummingbird the thumbs up IMO.

Plus Hummingbird units are built right here in the USA

Ictaluras (punctatus or furcatus?),

I have a Humminbird 597ci HD DI on my kayak. Ninety percent of the time I use the DI/Switchfire split screen. As mentioned earlier, fish show up better with the Switchfire but you can see details of the structure with the DI. I, personally, would not get a unit that didn't have traditional sonar. Oh, and the DI works just fine in shallow water.

However, there is definitely a difference in picture quality between the HD and non-HD units (like the 570). I have no experience with Lowrance units.

I really like DI. You won’t always get a crystal clear view of structure, but sometimes you will...and they're awesome.

Thanks for the information everyone. I had almost talked myself out of one, but after reading what you guys have said I may be checking out the Humminbird 570 DI. Please let me know if you have any other thoughts on this, I'm fascinated by what these little units can do now.

I have 2 units with the down imaging (one also has SI). I use the one with DI/SI in the front and the other at the console. Both are Humminbird 700 series units. Love them both. Had a problem with my SI transducer and it turned out that everyone was having the same problem. Since I registered it with Humminbird, they contacted me and send me an updated transducer for free and walked me through the set up. Great customer service and great units.

fender66 said:
I have 2 units with the down imaging (one also has SI). I use the one with DI/SI in the front and the other at the console. Both are Humminbird 700 series units. Love them both. Had a problem with my SI transducer and it turned out that everyone was having the same problem. Since I registered it with Humminbird, they contacted me and send me an updated transducer for free and walked me through the set up. Great customer service and great units.

Hummingbird has a great rep for customer service. =D> Can't wait till I can change from Lowrance to Hummingbird :oops:

I have a Humminbird 798ci, with down and side imaging. Honestly I find myself using the side imaging more than the down. It helps you see things you never knew were there. Not to say I dont use the down, but I use the side more. The down is good for fishing humps/points and such. I also use the split screen feature, which shows both side and down imaging. So if you see something on the side, you can buzz over and see what it is with down imaging. I would say get one, you wont regret it.

Hummingbird probably has the best down/side imaging next to Simrad. Please excuse my ignorance of lake fishing, but I have logged many hours utilizing bottom machines of all makes. The importance in a good bottom machine is a must for spearfishing here in Florida. If your fishing in depths shallower than 100ft they are awesome....deeper than that I don't think they work that well. Speed will also distort the image....slower is better. Just my 2cents.

I just put a Humminbird 597ci HD DI on my boat. I looked at both Lowrance and Humminbird units on-line, but decided to run to BPS and check them out side by side. I decided on the Humminbird becaused of the ability to switch from traditional images and DI, and run them on a split screen if you want.