DrNip's Weld-Craft 1248 - Hit 32.1 MPH!!!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, made it home. Started at 3 am and back by 5 pm. I have a motor!!! I now have to wait for the certificate of origin to be mailed to me so I can get it tagged. It can take up to a week they said! I've gotten pretty good at the hurry up and wait game.

photo 1.jpg
photo 2.jpg
photo 4.jpg
photo 3.jpg
photo 1 (1).jpg
photo 3 (1).jpg
photo 2 (1).jpg

Getting there. I've been keeping up with your story and I'm sorry theirs dirty people in the world. I don't see how you kept it cool this long. I'd done stacked bodies from front to back of my boat if I had to paddle to get rid of them. Lol, I'm glad to see you got your motor man and I hope you catch a bunch of fish the first time you take it out. Good luck and the rig looks good.

Thanks. Over the years have taught me patience. That and a bad streak when I was in my 20's that landed me in jail a few times due to losing my cool!

Working on getting my electronics and livewell part stacked. As soon as I get my other fish finder and all pumps I'll get to wiring it up nice.

For now I'm going to take a breather and fish!!!!

Glad you finally got your motor! Looks good. Looking forward to seeing the finished build. I'm sure it will be great!

I have a stupid question?
Why did you buy a 12 footer over a 14 or 16?
just wondering?

I originally wanted something that would fit in the garage and get me out in the coves and off the banks chasing the fish. I also had a trailer for a 12' boat already. Once I bought the boat I started working on the trailer and realized that the trailer wouldn't work for the boat due to being too narrow. So after I had already purchased the boat I had to purchase a new trailer. If I had to do it again I probably would have bought a 14' but don't know yet as I haven't fished out of this one. I will be the only one fishing out of it and am sure it will fit my needs. I will be purchasing a bigger fiberglass fish/ski boat one day when the kids are older but that will be a good 7-8 years from now.

Read front to back. Very influential story and glad you're almost done and out of the situations you've had to deal with. I bought a 12'er a week ago. It's the absolute perfect boat for how I fish size wise. Just gotta make it so fishing-wise. But it's been a loooong time coming and waited for the one I thought I needed. Missed a few things In the process.
Recognize you from the crappie site. My handle is Micropterus salmoides there.

Tight lines.

I'm ready to hear how a 12 footer scoots with a 30 he hanging off the back! Lol, and I was excited to get a 9.9.

Yeah I learned my lesson about paying for a product in full up front. Yeah here and Crappie.com is where I frequent. I love to crappie fish.

Hopefully I can get this thing tagged within the next week. Then the manual states I have to break it in for a period of 10 hours. Going to try to get that done within a day or two because I'm ready to fly too. Just purchased a tach for it so I can accomplish this.

My little 1232 Jon with a 9.8 Mercury will do 14 mph. With just me and my gear. It'll do 11 with me and my buddy who weighs 230lbs. It also has a heavy deck with 2x4s. I was afraid it wouldn't hold me up so I framed it out this world. I'm 165lbs. Yours should move on with a 30 on it.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=352348#p352348 said:
flatboat » 14 May 2014, 22:19[/url]"]I noticed , no jack plate , is there reasoning behind that? Just curious .
Don't really know if I'll need one. My cavitation plate is straight with the bottom of the transom and I have power trim which should allow me to dial it in better than without it. Won't really know until I get past the 10 hour break in and get to hotrodding it. :)

Had a little free time after the hectic week I had and took her out for about an hour to start this break in period on the new motor. Talk about a learning curve. I'm used to heavier fiberglass boats with remote steering. Unloading the boat was the biggest challenge. There was a bit of wind which thankfully there wasn't a boat unloading next to me because the boat drifted quickly to the side and off the boat ramp! Boat sat pretty level and felt pretty balanced. It rode pretty well too. Going to take her out tomorrow to try to get the rest of this break in over so I can see what she can do.

image.jpg

Nice motor man, sorry to hear about your trouble with Evin-rude, but sounds like it all worked out for the best! Nice build.

That's the only bad thing about a tin boat. They will drift and wear a battery down trying to keep them situated on a windy day of fishing. A lot of times I have to set my 43lb thrust motor guide on 4 just to sit still on out 10,000sq. acre lake. I bet it was a rough ride because it's a flat bottom and that water a a little chop to it.

Got her out today at full blast for 1 minute every 10 minutes. Hit 32.1 MPH!!! Talk about a ride. I bet she would hit 35 MPH on smooth water.

photo.png

Pops up on plane like a champ too. This is too much motor for this boat but I figured if I'm biting the bullet I might as well max it out to the max HP the hull is rated for in the event I decide to get a bigger boat later on in life. 20 MPH felt comfortable in the boat. 30 felt dangerous but exhilarating.

Well it's that time of year again where I am working 7 days a week to put towards that lake house one day! What free time I have had I put it towards the boat and getting it finished up. All electrical, bilge and livewell are complete now. Only thing that lacks is the side imaging and Bimini top. Those will probably have to wait until next year. Will be getting a Silent Stalker next month to stop the water slap on the bow. Man it's loud! Also I need to look into some type of perforated aluminum livewell divider to help stop the water from going side to side when in motion. I can tell when the livewell is full and the boat is scooting along it gets a little squirrely from the water in the livewell moving around.

Navigation Lights
Boat 67.jpg
Boat 69.jpg
Boat 77.jpg
Boat 63.jpg
Boat 64.jpg
Boat 71.jpg
Boat 72.jpg

Electrical
Boat 82.jpg
Boat 78.jpg

Bilge Pump Switch and Aerator Timer