everything steelflex

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will be sending my check first thing next week. I wont be able to apply it for a while... Weather isn't that nice up here!

TC1OZ said:
I will be sending my check first thing next week. I wont be able to apply it for a while... Weather isn't that nice up here!

Just a heads up, but I had to pay the UPS guy like 35 bucks when he dropped it off. They ding us north of the border guys when importing something like that.

cali27 said:
TC1OZ said:

Just a heads up, but I had to pay the UPS guy like 35 bucks when he dropped it off. They ding us north of the border guys when importing something like that.

Did you get it express? She said she was going to ship mine ground which is USPS. I don't think they charge the ridiculous brokerage fees.

I placed an order for steelflex also. It should be here soon. I spoke to Jerry and he told me to sand my boat alittle since it already has a strong coat of paint. Do I need to have a belt sander to do this or is a manual hand held sanding block enough?

BottomDweller said:
I placed an order for steelflex also. It should be here soon. I spoke to Jerry and he told me to sand my boat alittle since it already has a strong coat of paint. Do I need to have a belt sander to do this or is a manual hand held sanding block enough?

Manual.........60 or 80 grit and you'll be good. 8)

I'll be placing my order in the next week too.Any one want to chime in with some color suggestions,how gray is the gray i am looking for a battleship gray on bottom and sides up to the spray rails and red to the gunwale. I'm pretty stuck on the red(already got the paint),what else do yall think will look good?

sixgun said:
I'll be placing my order in the next week too.Any one want to chime in with some color suggestions,how gray is the gray i am looking for a battleship gray on bottom and sides up to the spray rails and red to the gunwale. I'm pretty stuck on the red(already got the paint),what else do yall think will look good?

Depends on how much dye you put in to the mix, for the final color.

I also did mine this weekend. I am impressed with the stuff. I only ordered 2 quarts and after receiveing I said noway is this enough to do what I want. I put two coats on and still have a plenty left over. I found a couple spots that look thin and will add some more but it doesn't take much. My only problem is I dont have a garage to do this in and had to use my carport. I was able to apply the steelflex but had a lot of bugs get stuck in the stuff. Also one of my foam rollers started to fall apart so I have a bunch of bumps but it still looks great! Oh yea, make sure you wear gloves!

Got my gallon of steelflex today.

Has anyone filled dents and applied steelflex over it? I would think it would work well since steelflex is an epoxy. I have the hull ground down to bare aluminum but a few spots really need attention.

DarkstarCrashes said:

Has anyone filled dents and applied steelflex over it? I would think it would work well since steelflex is an epoxy. I have the hull ground down to bare aluminum but a few spots really need attention.

Steelflex will stick to anything, i dont care what anybody says. Its some of the tackiest stuff I have ever dealt with.

DarkstarCrashes said:

I agree with Troutman, seems like it would stick to anything. Especially if you're overlapping the area. Just don't try to fill a dent with it. The more you apply, the quicker it cures. I put some on heavy on the bottom of mine where there were some dents, and before I could level it out, it was as thick as cold tar.

Cool, thanks guys. That's what I figured. I'm in the process of filling with epoxy putty and then I'll steelflex it. I can't wait to be done with these leaky rivets and seams!

Not sure if anyone has used a wire brush to prep a boat before steelflex but I decided to give it a shot since I had limited time to rough up the paint with straight sandpaper. Spent about 30 minutes with a wire brush that fits on a cordless drill. I think it did a pretty good job. It scratched it up pretty good. Just planning on going over what I did with some 60 grit sandpaper, acetone, and then I think I am good to go. I hope there wasn't any issues with me using that wire brush...

BottomDweller said:
Not sure if anyone has used a wire brush to prep a boat before steelflex but I decided to give it a shot since I had limited time to rough up the paint with straight sandpaper. Spent about 30 minutes with a wire brush that fits on a cordless drill. I think it did a pretty good job. It scratched it up pretty good. Just planning on going over what I did with some 60 grit sandpaper, acetone, and then I think I am good to go. I hope there wasn't any issues with me using that wire brush...
That would be the same process I just used. I spoke with Jerry at Fasco when I ordered the Steelflex, he said this would be fine.

After reading your post again I see you roughed up the paint with the wire brush, the bottom of my boat was not painted. I did take a cup brush to the bottom, and then roughed it up a bit more by hand before applying the Steelflex.

Just wanted to make sure I had the right idea on application before I started. Can someone confirm I am going down the right road?

Prep:
1. I have a good paint base so I am just going to rough it up a little with a wire brush and 60 grit sandpaper.
2. Then an acetone wipe

Application:
1. Add all of color to # 2 component (quart) and mix well. I have gray.
2. Mix 1 cup of component 1 to 1 cup of component 2 (containing color) in another conatiner. I am getting a drill mixer to blend.
3. Drizzle the 2 cups of mixed steelflex over hull and push around with foam roller until there is a thin coat.
4. Mix up another 2 cups and so on.
5. Wait 2 hours until coat is sticky and then start on second coat.

Budget for 8 hours and it would be good to have 2 people..right?
Temperature should be over 75 degrees and I should do this in a covered area with good ventilation..?

That just about sums it up, but its hard to mix just two cups with the drill mixer. Maybe make something like Perchin did for that amount of liquid. And when you mix the color in mix until you think its mixed and then five minutes more.

I actually poured the mix into a paint tray and used the roller to roll on the steel flex, this kept it from being lumpy in some places.

Took my boat out this past weekend... took on some water after painting it with some rustoleum from HD. So needless to say I will be ordering some steelflex soon. Has anyone applied SF over 5200?

Latest posts