everything steelflex

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I applied mine by myself and it was very easy. I mixed one cup at a time using some mixing containers from HD. Mixed 4 oz of each with a drill and drizzled and rolled with a 4inch foam roller. Stuff goes very far I ended up applying 3 coats and still have 2oz of each left out of starting with 2 quarts.

Wooo hoooo!!

I was a little late sending my check [-X but it finally got here!

For all you Canadians out there! Make sure you get TWICE as much as you want to order because the 38$ duties are a kick in the pants! :oops:

Really glad I went with the full gallon! Lets hope I'm as happy with the product as everyone else! [-o<

Plan on mixing in small cups and using a foam roller like everyone suggests!

Got a question.

When applying tape to the boat and then rolling on Steel Flex can I leave the tape on the boat and pull it off after 2 coats or should I remove the tape between each coat? When pulling the tape off does it come off easily like paint does or is it a pain to remove the tape?

Thanks!

I taped off mine with Frog Tape that I purchased at Walmart, I left it on for both coats and removed it 24 hours later. The taped came off without a problem and left a good clean edge.

Thanks Devilmutt, that's what I wanted to hear. I'm using the automotive green tape that should do the trick.

Woohoo - first coat is on. This stuff is actually pretty easy to work with by yourself. I mixed 6-8 oz. of each part at a time and drizzled it out in the sections I wanted to work on. then I used a roller to spread it out really good.

I put it on really thick on the bottom and tried to go thin on the sides but it still sagged on the sides. If you want a really clean look on the sides I'd suggest you do the bottom first then tilt each side and do the sides separately. The bottom where the boat is flat looks really good and smooth. If you want to do it all at one time put it on the vertical surfaces really thin and do like 4 coats building the layers up slightly more each time.

[strike]2 hours and back to it![/strike]

Done!!!

Whew, that's a late night.

Second coat was harder to get on and get smoothed out. I had to really push it around with the roller. I only went thru 2 rollers and 2 mixing pots so I guess that was good.

Post Steel Flex comments:

If I do it again I'll put it on really thick on the layer that is horizontal and not worry about 2 layers. Then I'd rotate the boat and do each side independent to get it on thick and smooth. When this stuff settles out all the brush/roller marks smooth out. I'd also do the entire outside of the boat in Steel Flex next time instead of trying to re-tape and paint the boat a different color. Another member did his in olive inside and out and I think that is the way to go.

I took some pics that I'll have to post in my mod thread.

Hey Guys,

I got a 1232, looks like for just the bottom maybe 2/3 inches up the side I am looking at 3 qts.

The bottom of this boat has been mistreated so i am taking it down to the bar aluminum in most places...I saw a couple of posts ask about sealing little leaks (Like leaking rivets).

How does it do as an overall sealer?

MadCatX said:
Hey Guys,

I got a 1232, looks like for just the bottom maybe 2/3 inches up the side I am looking at 3 qts.

The bottom of this boat has been mistreated so i am taking it down to the bar aluminum in most places...I saw a couple of posts ask about sealing little leaks (Like leaking rivets).

Fix the leaky rivet first.

Brine said:
MadCatX said:
Hey Guys,

Fix the leaky rivet first.

This - my rivets busted through the steel flex after some pretty rough waves. Rebuck the rivets then apply the steelflex for the ultimate seal.

Everyone keeps talking about painting over the steelflex but has anyone thought about painting first then using the steelflex clear as a top coat like a cars clear coat?

I would like to do that and put truck bed liner on the inside eventualy. Any thoughts?

island fever said:
Everyone keeps talking about painting over the steelflex but has anyone thought about painting first then using the steelflex clear as a top coat like a cars clear coat?

I would like to do that and put truck bed liner on the inside eventualy. Any thoughts?

No - it would probably stick better to the aluminum in my opinion.

I think on page 4 or 5 they talk about it - I think 1 gal may be enough but it depends on how far up the side you go

Latest posts