Fair asking price...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MickT

Reaction score
Mods, move this if it needs to:

What is this worth?
I found a late 70's - early 80's 1648 jon. Riveted const., wide open floor plan w/ a deck up front, 2 aluminum storage boxes (probably 18"W, 30" L, and 16" T) installed, and a 25 hp from the same time frame. I don't know if the motor runs or the condition of the trailer. I really like the hull but don't want to overpay.

Remember something is only worth what the guy with the cash is willing to pay.

What is it worth to you? Is it going to be something that does what you want it to, that you can use often, and always appreciate, or will it be something that gets used once a month, with you wishing you had something bigger/faster/better?

My boat certainly isn't worth the 4 grand I ended up putting in it when it was all said and done - doubt I could sell it for that much, but to me, it is worth every penny of that and more. It is something that I use almost every weekend, and if I am not using it I am fiddling with it somehow, and it will do everything I want it to do for me.

Now, if I were searching for that particular hull to mod, and the motor, even if it doesn't run, just showed signs of needing minor work (carb work etc) as opposed to a full rebuild, and the trailer was in reasonable condition I would probably go 1200. If it was nicer, or the motor was running well (not the it fires and runs, but in the condition that you could take it to the lake on the way home) I might go 1500 - 1600. You will probably find others on here that will pay a bit more, but I am a cheapskate when it comes to the initial cost of my boats/outboards, knowing I will splurge later on for accessories.

Check-out the newspaper, Craigslist or Feebay in your area & see what comparable boats are selling for. In this locale....probably $1,000-1,200.

ST

This is what I have found in my area.(Upstate,SC)

early 80's 25HP outboard running-$700 to $1500

Older jon boat-$300 to $1200 depending on condition,lay out,riveted or welded,and included gear

12 to 16 foot trailer good to excellent conditon-$500 to $1200

12 to 16 foot trailer fair to poor condition-$100 to $500

As you can tell,prices vary widely.If you wanna buy and go fishing, without putting work into the boat,you'll pay more.Take into consideration the future usage.Will you be out once or more a week?This would be worth a higher price.Would you only be out once a month maybe a few times a year?Lower price would be easier on the mind and wallet.If you're looking to build, go as cheap as possible,if you're ready for a hull out redo.If you're looking to just arrange the interior to suit your style,spend more for a hull with nice paint,no leaks,and a solid inner structure.There's a lot of factors to buying a boat.Look around your area,classifieds,Craig's list,and ebay.This would give you an idea of a price line.With what you described,I would offer $800-$1000.If the condition of the trailer,hull,and motor is in fairly good condition to excellent,I would go as high as $1600.For me to go over $1200,the boat would have to be ready for the water.It doesn't have to have decks,seats and all the add ons.It just has to be ready for the water.I don't know if this will work on this forum,but we have some good guys here,so it might.Talk to one of them and get him/her to go with you to look at the boat.You can get an honest unbiased opinion.If you're around upstate,SC,I'll be willing to go with you to check out boats.Good luck.

Next time I'm by I'll talk to the guy and take some pics. He isn't trying to sell it right now, but I have worked right next door for three years and it hasn't moved yet. He has an aluminum bassboat that he fishes out of. Right now the jonboat is covered in dust and has a bunch of scrap wood in it. I figure that maybe I'll free up some space in his shed if the price is right.

Here's a good example of what's available:

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4942

Blank slate, do whatever you want to it & end up with the boat finished the way you want for under $1500 I'd have to think, and everything would be new. From paint to carpet to lay-out, it'd be all your preference.

ST

Latest posts