First boat!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Preacher

Reaction score
I purchased a 12ft gamefisher jon boat. I noticed that some one used bolts instead of rivets for the back bench. This boat does not leak and seems to be in great condition. Where do i start on maintenance to insure the boats life? In the conversions, how much weight can you add in the additions that are made? Should I replace the transom? Can i make the boat even more stable for big fisherman (hefty men)? What can i do or not do? what seats can provide some comfort? Wiring? Battery compartment? Any help would be very welcome especially from Jim. I watched the great conversions of his boat!! I would love to talk or email anyone with some great information.

thanks Ya'll
Michigan preacher

Welcome preacher,
Thanks for joining.

First we need to find out what the maximum capacity for your boat is. Hopefully there is a plate somewhere on the boat that will give you a maximum capacity.

Why would you like to replace the transom? Is there something wrong with it?

welcome Preacher from one brother to another. What do you plan on fishen? Bass, crappie cat? any night time fishen? Are you gas pwoered or want electric only? :)

Bass fishin is the greatest on Earth, especially in the South. I would like to put a small gas motor on the back, then a trolling motor on the back or front. If ya'll got a better idea, i would love hear it. When i saw Jim's conversion of his boat, i wanted to do something close to that, but according to what my boat can handle. if any one can tell how to add pics i would.

Preacher for the pictures:

Do you have any photo software that will allow you to shrink the pics down to 800x600 or less?

If not go here: https://gui.picresize.com/picresize2/

On the left hand side, hit browse and find the picture you want to resize. After you pick it, hit the upload button. When it appears on the screen, hit the resize button. When that opens up click on custom size, choose 800 for the width, you can leave height blank.

Then you will see the save button the left hand side with a select quality link click on the select qulity link. Save it 50 or 75 percent, this reduces the quality for the web. and your done. Once you do it once or twice you will get the hang of it.

Then to upload more than one picture....When you are creating a post you will see an upload attachment box just underneath. Hit browse, select your picture, then press add the file. Then do this over and over again until you do all the pictures you want.

The only requirements for uploads are 800 wide and 150k or less in size.

Any more questions, please let me know.

The weight capacity of your boat is 385. That is the total weight for safe use on your boat. Take the 385, subtract your weight, 40-50 pounds for a battery, subtract trolling motor and gear (rods, reels, cooler, tackle) and then Motor and gas tank. That does not leave you much if you plan on going with someone else.

Honestly, there will not be that much more "allowable safe weight" Lets first figure out how much total weight there is on the boat on a typical outing.

I would like to have 2 or 3 hp gas and a trolling motor, 2 fishing poles, takle box, and maybe another fisherman (if possible). I am posting some pics, but i feel the answer maybe buy a bigger boat. the Lord let me hve this boat, so i would like to best i can with it. unfortunately, I am short and pudgy. Thank you for any help!!!!!!!

Attachments

• Boat 1 001.jpg
    Boat 1 001.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 2,458
  • Boat 1 015.jpg
    Boat 1 015.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 2,451
  • Boat 1 002.jpg
    Boat 1 002.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 2,452
  • Boat 1 004.jpg
    Boat 1 004.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 2,455
  • Boat 1 009.jpg
    Boat 1 009.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 2,467
i have that same boat... its a great little boat. i have had more than the recomended weight in it. it does fine. me my buddy all are gear 2 batts and motor no problem. just make sure you spread the weight out. i am in the process of installing decks and carpet into mine. i will be pushing the weight envelope for sure. i hope to get in the water this weekend or next for sure. i'll snap some pics and let you know how it turns out.