First Rebuild 12' v-hull

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampreaper

Reaction score
So, I was given this little 12' boat by a friend of mine. He had gotten it and made it his duck hunting rig years ago and it has a good deal of sentimental value. He and I became duck hunting buddies and since he has 2 other boats and 3 canoes he gave me this to make my own. I finally got the boat to my house and have started stripping her down to bare aluminium. The list of to-do's follow.

The gunnels are gone and were replaced with wood strapping, not knowing where to find aluminium gunnels I guess I will have to just remake the strapping style gunnels. The top of the rear seat was replaced with wood and was rotten, so I will use the aluminium supports and replace the top (debating on what to replace with). I am hoping to make a dry storage area from the bow to the first rib (about 3-4') and a floor from there to the front of the furthest bench. The middle seat was replaced entirely with wood and was 100% gonezo, my question is can I get away with putting a pedestal seat in the middle (more comfortable for hunting) without risking the structural integrity since there will be the dry storage in the bow and a bench in the rear.

I hope to finish stripping the paint off with a wire brush tomorrow, if thunderstorms don't keep me from doing so, and keep trucking from there. Any suggestions would be greatly welcomed!

Pictures are bottom to top for correct order

Attachments

• DSCN1489.JPG
    DSCN1489.JPG
    125.8 KB · Views: 896
  • DSCN1490.JPG
    DSCN1490.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 896
  • DSCN1492.JPG
    DSCN1492.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 896
  • DSCN1494.JPG
    DSCN1494.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 896
Welcome Aboard, Reaper !! what port do you hail from ?
I think DaleH posted a source recently about a vinyl or plastic gunnel material.

if you perform a google search for: Gunwale Replacement,
you may find something within your skillset or some ideas that you can use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=485qvP3TIIY

I am actually up in the frozen North we call Maine. I appreciate the direction with the gunwales, that section is the most daunting to me.

Latest posts