fishfinder

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not very good at all :LOL2: seriously though,the humminbird piranhamax is good. ive had mine for years now. its portable and runs off aa batts.

These basic models run $80-100 (here is a LINK). I have an older PiranhaMAX 215 that works great for bottom scanning although the fish detection is real hit and miss, especially when moving.

My experience is that cheap fish finders are good at bottom depth... and, for bass fishing that gives me most of what I need to know. I do not think I can correlate any of the fish I have caught to fish on the fish finder but I can attribute most to knowing the depth, or more specifically the depth changes.... but I suppose that if I were a trolling kinda fella I might have a different take.

I had a chance to really put my cheap model to the test this weekend. Went to a smaller pond that varied from real shallow to 12 ft. I was sitting on top of a light colored bed (the white/yellow sand here makes it easy to see when water is clearer) and could see bluegill of all sizes below my boat and transducer. The smaller slower moving bluegills would only get pinged and shown as a fish icon maybe 20-25% of the time, the larger aquatic animals (like bass and turtles) were picked up a majority of the time as a medium or larger icon. Usually the turtles shows up as a "large fish" icon.

This is pretty much why I suggested the models that do NOT use the fish icons, or at least has the option to turn them off.

As a side note, I ended pulling out 11 or 12 good size bluegill from 6-12" long, and around 30 more that were 6" or less and too small to keep.

screwballl said:
These basic models run $80-100 (here is a LINK). I have an older PiranhaMAX 215 that works great for bottom scanning although the fish detection is real hit and miss, especially when moving.
Yea I have one of those as well. Work good though. Walmart has some cheap garmin 300C's which work well.

Aggie Fire said:
Not trying to hijack the thread.......any experience with the new Garmin echo. I am considering the 150.

When I replace my unit, that is the one I am planning to pick up as well. I have heard a few locals with small boats that have this model and they like it for the basic low end setups.

Lowrance recently came out with several new models. Models X4 @ $80 and the X4 pro that i got at $95. I love the X4pro

screwballl said:
As a side note, I ended pulling out 11 or 12 good size bluegill from 6-12" long, and around 30 more that were 6" or less and too small to keep.

Wait....12" bluegills?! I don't know that I've ever seen one anywhere near that size...do you have pictures so I can marvel at them?

Latest posts